Cat scratching post

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Cat scratching post

Postby Suzle87 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:57 am

I was thinking of getting Ventress a Scratching post (kept out of vivarium for when he has his daily adventures) he really seems to have an urge to climb things but everything seems to smooth for him to get a grip so i thought this may work...and may possibly file down his claws a bit while we are at it.
Is there any reason any of you can think of that this would not be a good idea? will the roughness be okay on his belly? etc
let me know what you think, thanks
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Cat scratching post

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:24 am

So long as it's not very tall and surrounded by lots of cushions ….IMO he'll have move fun exploring the pile of cushions (under , between , over them) …. put something new and safe on the floor each time he's having floor fun time and he'll find it irresistible ….

My beardies love screwed up wrapping paper , bubble wrap , shoes , and yes piles of cushions on the floor ….. they are irresistible and must be thoroughly examined .

PS when we have a regularly wild skinky house guests / squatters (water skinks) , we have to warn visitor not to leave any opened bags or handbags on the floor …. if the resident "house skink" spots it they are warned it will want to climb onto / into it to find out what is in it and the risk is they will have skinky stowaway (which wont be good , we want our little scaley four legged friends to stay.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:49 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:So long as it's not very tall and surrounded by lots of cushions ….IMO he'll have move fun exploring the pile of cushions (under , between , over them) …. put something new and safe on the floor each time he's having floor fun time and he'll find it irresistible ….

My beardies love screwed up wrapping paper , bubble wrap , shoes , and yes piles of cushions on the floor ….. they are irresistible and must be thoroughly examined .

PS when we have a regularly wild skinky house guests / squatters (water skinks) , we have to warn visitor not to leave any opened bags or handbags on the floor …. if the resident "house skink" spots it they are warned it will want to climb onto / into it to find out what is in it and the risk is they will have skinky stowaway (which wont be good , we want our little scaley four legged friends to stay.

Thanks for this, Ventress conquered pillowjacket mountain this evening and seemed to enjoy it greatly
2584739D-1525-40D7-97DE-466655A7023F.jpeg
461707BC-2FAD-4D6A-B000-C5F55355B541.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:08 pm

Haha so cute with the pics! Can't see why not :D I'm not sure if they'd get their claws stuck in a traditional rope-style scratching post, but I'm sure you can keep watch for that possibility. Seems a good idea to make a pillow fort, just in case he gets stuck at the top!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:33 am

Suzle87 wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:So long as it's not very tall and surrounded by lots of cushions ….IMO he'll have move fun exploring the pile of cushions (under , between , over them) …. put something new and safe on the floor each time he's having floor fun time and he'll find it irresistible ….

Thanks for this, Ventress conquered pillowjacket mountain this evening and seemed to enjoy it greatly2584739D-1525-40D7-97DE-466655A7023F.jpeg461707BC-2FAD-4D6A-B000-C5F55355B541.jpeg

yep... one happy skinky …. different pile each time and it'll be a great enrichment activity for the skink.

I have a ball that plastic and hollow and has holes in that I place a silkworm or couple of superworm inside that my BTS love getting the worm out …. didn't take them long to suss it out ….

Got the idea when I saw a resident wild water skink who was squatting under / inside/under the lounge pushing a grape she's found on the floor of the kitchen around , next day I had the ball and placed some mealworms inside it and sure enough she noticed the worms and worked out to how to get them out..... (all by herself ….)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”