need help with feeding schedule and subspecies

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Bowserz
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

need help with feeding schedule and subspecies

Postby Bowserz » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:19 pm

So, I just bought a blue tongued skink today and I have absolutely no clue what subspecies he is, but he is captive bred. I also need help with a feeding schedule. I have reptivite and calcium with d3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: need help with feeding schedule and subspecies

Postby Janella » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Congratulations on your new skink. Very cute. Hard to say exactly from this photo, but it is either a Merauke or Halamara. If you can provide a photo from above and sides, we can better identify.
As for feeding, it depends on how old your skink is. Did you see the feeding chart recommendations from our forum? I would follow that to a T.
Good luck with your new one. Skunks are amazing!!!
Bowserz
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Bowserz » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:49 pm

Sure! Here ya go, sorry about the screenshots I had them on another thread and they wouldn’t let me save em. Couldn’t get an underbelly pic, buts it’s white with black speckling
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:16 am

Awww cute! I'm thinking Halmahera , especially with the underbelly description :D Have you been able to check the food chart on the forum? At that age you'll be feeding daily. I used to do a calcium+D3 sprinkle on each 3rd day, and vitamin dust once per week to two weeks - since the diet was pretty varied (but I can't find a set rule/recommendation on this, so best to see what works for you!).
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:48 am

Definitely looks like a Halamara to me also. They require higher humidity levels then other skinks do. Shoot for 80%. Babies do need daily feeding at this age to grow. Boy do they grow fast. Did you find the feeding chart? Good luck on your new baby.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:20 am

At about his/her age , looks maybe 3 months old , I had my young BTs on a diet rich in insect protein ( wild BTs at that age need lots of calcium and lots live insect protein every day, twice per day)
I offered silkworms & crickets as staple insects

and I also offered a mix of scrabbled and hardboiled egg , boiled lean chicken mince ,

for extra vitamins I have them softened RepCal juvenile bearded dragon pellets mixed with softened VetaFarm Lizard Pellets + chopped raw ( green beans + peas + buk choi ) + grated raw (carrot and sweat potato) every day (to nibble on) and I also nasturtium leaves & flowers, and dandelion leaves and flowers,

and for treats I offered occasional small purged garden snails (bought these from a snail farmer) & berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, banana , kiwi , chopped green seedless grapes & apricot flesh.

So uptake , protein mostly for year while the skink is growing fast …. believe me a bluetongue skink grows very fast in it's first year, at least 2 feeds of live insect protein per day IMO until about 6 months old, cut back to one per day then until about 18 months - 2yrs old , the refer the Complete Critter Bluetongue Skink food pyramid from about 18 months old.
https://www.completecritter.com/blue-tongue-skink.html

Good feeder insects for your young BTS are :
Black Solder Fly Lavae
Silkworms
crickets
roaches
locusts …. crickets , roaches and locusts need to dusted and gut load to increase their Ca/P ratio and nutritional value , it may be a good idea depending on how good a hunter your skink is to chill these ones to slow them down , I found it easier and more efficient to handfeed the crickets to my little George and Mildred , handfeeding is a fantastic way to bond with a pet lizard , and worth the occasional finger tip nip (these are usually my own fault for not giving it my full attention , being too slow). I've never come close to being bitten by a pet skink or dragon in anger - all the bites have been accidents and never ever followed through with by the lizard).
Is actually very hard to get a BTS or water skink or bearded dragon bite you anger !!! they would rather run away.

Mealworms and superworms , and wax worms = treats ONLY.

I don't offer cat or dog food to my pet skinks or pet dragon ( wild BTs in the bush and grasslands don't find open bags or cans of dog or cat food laying about to eat ).

My two bluetongues were adopted from a breeder at about 2 months old and are now 9 years old and very smoggy towards us.

My greens and grated vegs were made up in bulk in a food processor and I frozen daily portions in icecube trays - thawing a cube or two each day to give to skinks (and later my dragons). I make up to 36 large 50mm x 40mm x 40mm food cubes in a batch and these typically last my 2 adult BTS and 1 adult bearded dragon and 1 adult (rescued) eastern water skink about 2 weeks .
Bowserz
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Bowserz » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:23 am

Why would mealworms be a treat?
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:27 am

Bowserz wrote:Why would mealworms be a treat?
Only a treat because because they are very poor in Calcium , low in protein , high in fat and have exoskeletons that are hard to digest and are known accumulate in the GIT and result in impaction.

Fine as a treat , never more than 3 or 4 at a sitting. Think KFC for skinks ….

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”