Can I use reptichip for my blue tongue skink?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
tamella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Ella Tam

Can I use reptichip for my blue tongue skink?

Postby tamella » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:15 pm

I'm getting a northern blue tongue soon but I bought this before I really figured out which skink I wanted. Can I use it or does it hold to much humidity?
Whnthsungoesdwn
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Can I use reptichip for my blue tongue skink?

Postby Whnthsungoesdwn » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:52 am

I use reptichip for my northern. I just don’t mist it
tamella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Ella Tam

Postby tamella » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:23 am

Whnthsungoesdwn wrote:I use reptichip for my northern. I just don’t mist it

I was talking to some people who own northerns and said it would be to wet. I have the block kind so I have to get it wet to take it apart but if I do it prior to getting my skink and let it dry out will it be fine?
gatoremoji
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby gatoremoji » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:21 pm

If you let it dry out it should be fine.

I use it for my ball python (who I try to keep at 50% humidity), and here’s what I do to ensure it’s not too wet when preparing it: In a large bucket, pour a small amount of water over the brick. Let it absorb, and chip that layer off with a screwdriver. Take the substrate you chipped off and “wring it out” over the brick until no water can be squeezed out, then separate it into it’s own bin. Then you keep working at the brick in layers until you have enough.

The substrate will still be moist, so it’s then advisable to let it dry out by spreading it into a thin layer and letting it sit, mixing it up occasionally. I put it in a spare under-the-bed storage bin.

You can let it air dry, but this may take a few days to be completely dry. If the weather permits, letting it dry out in the sun works well, but you can also bake it at 250F until dry although it -will- have a smell and needs to be watched closely for safety.

Also keep in mind when you put the substrate in the enclosure the heat lamps will likely dry it out pretty quickly!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”