How do YOU heat your BTS?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Gsxrgrl21
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

How do YOU heat your BTS?

Postby Gsxrgrl21 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:43 pm

Hello!
So I've been researching for a few months now,and I've noticed that there are a few different lighting/heating options available..some people like heat bulbs,others only use pads..still others use both..and then others use all of the above AND a UVB.

Kind of confusing for a new coming to owning a BTS. What do YOU use and why?
I'm no stranger to heating reptiles. I have a 6 year old Beardie that is in a 75 gallon tank with a 100W heat bulb and a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB bulb that is INSIDE the tank (as I've learned,the screen blocks out most of the rays). I'm just curious as to what is the best way to keep a BTS 100% healthy!!

Thank you in advance for any responses!!

Bri
Proud mommy to 1: 3 year old Beagle/Pit Bull named Rhane,1: 6 year old Bearded Dragon named Reptar, 2: Crested Geckos named Simba and Charmander, 1: Leopard Gecko named Naga :D
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: How do YOU heat your BTS?

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:47 pm

Philips par38 incandescent spots for basking 26W UVB200 in a Nanohood for UV , 7W heat pad under tiles to warm hide overnight.
Gsxrgrl21
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Gsxrgrl21 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:52 am

kingofnobbys wrote:Philips par38 incandescent spots for basking 26W UVB200 in a Nanohood for UV , 7W heat pad under tiles to warm hide overnight.

So do you turn off all the lighting overnight and keep the pad on?
Proud mommy to 1: 3 year old Beagle/Pit Bull named Rhane,1: 6 year old Bearded Dragon named Reptar, 2: Crested Geckos named Simba and Charmander, 1: Leopard Gecko named Naga :D
Whnthsungoesdwn
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Whnthsungoesdwn » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:18 am

I use a 75 watt basking bulb during the day, nothing at night.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:29 am

Gsxrgrl21 wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:Philips par38 incandescent spots for basking 26W UVB200 in a Nanohood for UV , 7W heat pad under tiles to warm hide overnight.

Yep .... that's the deal for all my 3 pet skinks ( 2 Eastern Bluetongues & 1 Eastern Water Skink ) and 1 Central Bearded Dragon. The heatpads sandwiched between tiles stay on 24/7 and are under their main hides .

My skinks' heatpads are thermostatically set to stay at 32-34 degC , the beardie's heatpad is set to stay at 35-36 degC. And they all love them. Especially now it's winter. No one is brumating, none of my pet skinks or dragons have ever shown any inclination to brumate. Everyone is up and basking at about lunchtime , and expecting a feed about 4pm , and if I fail to get each out for some quality daddy time and maybe some floor fun time (the big lizards) or fun play time all over me and the coffee table and the lounge next to me - I get given the hint ,and maybe stink eye.

My home is climate controlled over winter ( big Fujitsu Inverter Split Reverse Cycle Aircon stays on 24/7 and holds the room temperature in the living areas about 22 degC overnight , and 24-25 degC during the day).

Only Fluffy the water skink has ever experience real winters here (she's started life as a semi tame wild skink in my garden and would disappear for a few weeks over winter ,then she had a run in with a grass trimmer in November last year and was rescued near death about 6 months ago - she's mega tame now and horribly spoilt (like all my lizardy children are) and seems to love her new lot in life and being cared for by me. She's got a very well train and agreeable and comfy warm human slave now.
Gsxrgrl21
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Gsxrgrl21 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:18 am

kingofnobbys wrote:
Gsxrgrl21 wrote:

Yep .... that's the deal for all my 3 pet skinks ( 2 Eastern Bluetongues & 1 Eastern Water Skink ) and 1 Central Bearded Dragon. The heatpads sandwiched between tiles stay on 24/7 and are under their main hides .

My skinks' heatpads are thermostatically set to stay at 32-34 degC , the beardie's heatpad is set to stay at 35-36 degC. And they all love them. Especially now it's winter. No one is brumating, none of my pet skinks or dragons have ever shown any inclination to brumate. Everyone is up and basking at about lunchtime , and expecting a feed about 4pm , and if I fail to get each out for some quality daddy time and maybe some floor fun time (the big lizards) or fun play time all over me and the coffee table and the lounge next to me - I get given the hint ,and maybe stink eye.

My home is climate controlled over winter ( big Fujitsu Inverter Split Reverse Cycle Aircon stays on 24/7 and holds the room temperature in the living areas about 22 degC overnight , and 24-25 degC during the day).

Only Fluffy the water skink has ever experience real winters here (she's started life as a semi tame wild skink in my garden and would disappear for a few weeks over winter ,then she had a run in with a grass trimmer in November last year and was rescued near death about 6 months ago - she's mega tame now and horribly spoilt (like all my lizardy children are) and seems to love her new lot in life and being cared for by me. She's got a very well train and agreeable and comfy warm human slave now.

So you only use the heating pad? No overhead lighting? What about UVB?
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:45 am

Gsxrgrl21 wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:
Gsxrgrl21 wrote:

No.... they have incandescent spot globes for basking during the day. Their hides and heatpads are positioned under the basking globe and double as basking platforms and warmed beds. This works very well , my skinks (and similar setup for the bearded dragon) seem to really like the set up.
26W UVB150 compacts for the skinks (eastern BTs and eastern water skink).
Gsxrgrl21
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Gsxrgrl21 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:07 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:
Gsxrgrl21 wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:

No.... they have incandescent spot globes for basking during the day. Their hides and heatpads are positioned under the basking globe and double as basking platforms and warmed beds. This works very well , my skinks (and similar setup for the bearded dragon) seem to really like the set up.
26W UVB150 compacts for the skinks (eastern BTs and eastern water skink).

Interesting..got it! So heating pad in combination with a heat bulb and UVB! I see so many people do all different set ups so it's hard to know which is best

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”