Does your Skink Eat his Own Scales??

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
xXxBORISxXx
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Does your Skink Eat his Own Scales??

Postby xXxBORISxXx » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:36 pm

Hi guys!
Recently my 1 year old nothern had a shed. It was during a super busy day for me, so I noticed in the morning that he was about to shed, and when I returned home that night.. there were no scales left in his tank!! Meaning, he ate all of it!
In the past I've noticed him eat one or two scales that he spots, but I've always cleaned the tank super quickly to prevent this. Unfortunately since I was busy the other day, he ate everything before I came home!!
Now when he poops, I can see scales in it, lol. The first time I saw it, I was super worried, but then I realized it was him passing out the scales.

My question is, do your skinks do this?? Is it unhealthy or healthy for them??
Thanks!!
lifesagame
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Re: Does your Skink Eat his Own Scales??

Postby lifesagame » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:15 am

I think all species of lizard can eat their own skin, I was told a while ago that lizard skin has nutrients in it and it means they can get those nutrients out by eating it. My skink is new and he hasn’t shed yet with me but I don’t think it’s anything to worry about. I’ll keep an eye out when mine does and see if he sees it as a snack. :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”