Skink barely eats unless being held

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Kudzoo328
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Cam comstock

Skink barely eats unless being held

Postby Kudzoo328 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:03 pm

So my young bts will eat but usually just lick the food no matter what im feeding, at the moment im feeding omni gold and various veggies and fruits. But if i pick it up he goes to town on the food lol. What am i doing wrong?
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Skink barely eats unless being held

Postby Yeshika » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:15 pm

Kudzoo328 wrote:So my young bts will eat but usually just lick the food no matter what im feeding, at the moment im feeding omni gold and various veggies and fruits. But if i pick it up he goes to town on the food lol. What am i doing wrong?

He might not be feeling secure where you're feeding him. My skink doesn't like open areas. Are you feeding him in his vivarium? He should feel secure there.
Kudzoo328
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kudzoo328 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:32 pm

Ive been feeding him in his viv the same as i have since i got him 5 weeks ago and i would pick him up and show him to the food being he was rather small and the enclosure is fairly big, but hes fairly active and intrrested in the food but just wont eat as much as he was eating, unless i pick him up lol. Maybe im feeding too often, i dont quite know an age but ive had him 5 weeks and he was about 5 inches long when i got him and hes roughly 9 inches now, im guessing a couple months old?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:07 am

What are your temps? Your hand is warm. And I agree with the open area thing, sometimes when they are young and small it works to keep them in something smaller. Not necessary, they will get used to their surroundings and seems you have had yours long enough to acclimate. Double check your temperatures. Send a picture too.
Kudzoo328
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kudzoo328 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:36 am

Temp on hot side usually stays between 94 and 98 except for the pic i just sprayed the subtrate, and cool side is usually mid 70s to 80. The humididy stays usually around 68 to 74 unless i spray it then itll jump to around 80. He seems to be happy and curious about everything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kudzoo328
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kudzoo328 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:39 am

Just wondering around checking everything out, hes a curious little fella
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:00 am

Awww cute little one! He looks fine, not underweight or anything. Keep us posted, looks healthy to me!
Kudzoo328
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kudzoo328 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:06 am

Alrighty will do, without a doubt the most curious reptile ive owned. Always exploring something
xXxBORISxXx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby xXxBORISxXx » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:53 am

Hey!
I noticed in your posted you mentioned feeding your 5 week old skink omnigold. I have the same product, I bought it because it was recommended by a skink breeder TC Houston of Reptile Mountain TV. He has a great youtube video about it! He does say though that he doesn't recommend feeding it to skinks that are less than a year old because that's a lot of vegetation for young skinks. This is just some information I picked up, thought I'd give you a tip :) Mixing cat or dog food with vegetables like collard greens and squash might strike a better balance.
Kudzoo328
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kudzoo328 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:28 pm

Cool thank you for the info, ill switch back to the cat food and veggies

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”