Wattage of bulb for heating??

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ADollopOfLazy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Wattage of bulb for heating??

Postby ADollopOfLazy » Tue May 29, 2018 6:15 pm

Assuming I would keep a blue tongue in a plastic bin 36×18×10 in. what wattage of heating bulb would probably work? It would be placed on a screen cut out of the plastic lid. I know its gonna matter according to the climate, etc. but what wattages would be in the right ball park to test out. I live in North east if that helps. Its pretty warm right now but winter can get pretty cold. Thanks for any feed back.
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Wattage of bulb for heating??

Postby Yeshika » Tue May 29, 2018 7:49 pm

ADollopOfLazy wrote:Assuming I would keep a blue tongue in a plastic bin 36×18×10 in. what wattage of heating bulb would probably work? It would be placed on a screen cut out of the plastic lid. I know its gonna matter according to the climate, etc. but what wattages would be in the right ball park to test out. I live in North east if that helps. Its pretty warm right now but winter can get pretty cold. Thanks for any feed back.

Really no definitive answer.
Try buying cheap hardware store heat bulbs, they'll give you a good idea of what wattage you'd be wanting to get and you'll only be paying a fraction of the price. More often than not they're the exact same type of bulb anyway. I've found an 100watt works well at a similar distance, but it's incredibly cold here right now so it could be overkill for your setup.
ADollopOfLazy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Wattage of bulb for heating??

Postby ADollopOfLazy » Wed May 30, 2018 7:58 am

Yeshika wrote:
ADollopOfLazy wrote:Assuming I would keep a blue tongue in a plastic bin 36×18×10 in. what wattage of heating bulb would probably work? It would be placed on a screen cut out of the plastic lid. I know its gonna matter according to the climate, etc. but what wattages would be in the right ball park to test out. I live in North east if that helps. Its pretty warm right now but winter can get pretty cold. Thanks for any feed back.

Really no definitive answer.
Try buying cheap hardware store heat bulbs, they'll give you a good idea of what wattage you'd be wanting to get and you'll only be paying a fraction of the price. More often than not they're the exact same type of bulb anyway. I've found an 100watt works well at a similar distance, but it's incredibly cold here right now so it could be overkill for your setup.

Thanks, ill do try buying a few to test out.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”