Blue tongue skink diet?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
RBP
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Blue tongue skink diet?

Postby RBP » Tue May 29, 2018 7:12 am

This has probably been ask multiple times already but I can not fine a clear answer. Can BTS eat cat food if so do I need to supplement it and add veggie to it? I’m new to BTS and want to get one soon.
Angel_BTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Blue tongue skink diet?

Postby Angel_BTS » Tue May 29, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi :) I feed both my Blueys cat food everyday, along with insects such as snails, mealworms, crickets and grasshoppers ect. I also add in fruits like banana, grapes and berries, along with veggies like brussell sprouts, carrots, broccoli ect. I don’t feed all of these to my Blueys everyday, but they always have cat food as their staple. Use high quality cat food that doesn’t contain fish as fish isn’t part of their diet. I sprinkle vitamin and calcium D3 powder on their food everyday :)
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Blue tongue skink diet?

Postby kayla990 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:57 am

Adding onto Angel's response ^__^
In case you've not seen it yet, check out app.php/page/food-chart - good resource.

Generally, you wouldn't want to give plain catfood/dogfood. Add in recommended food from the chart such as veggies (as you've said), along with fruit, leafy greens etc. Ideally, you would want to swap around the protein source (so some days cat/dog food, others insects, another day maybe egg or cooked meats).
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”