Help with first tank for baby Northern BTS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BlueThunder
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Help with first tank for baby Northern BTS

Postby BlueThunder » Tue May 29, 2018 2:43 am

Hi,

I'm looking to get a baby Northern BTS soon and have been researching which tank is best for them, but have seen conflicting information. Some sites say a wooden enclosure is best and some say one with a screen top is necessary (including the care guide here). As far as I can tell the wooden tanks don't have screen tops!

Any advice on suitable tanks for a Northern baby would be gratefully received.I've been looking at Vivexotic and Exo Terra, but I'm aassuming Exo Terra would be out as they are all glass (assuming the wooden info is correct). A shame as I'd prefer a glass tank I think.
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Help with first tank for baby Northern BTS

Postby Yeshika » Tue May 29, 2018 3:06 am

I personally wouldn't recommend a glass tank, as it can be hard to keep the temperatures warm enough in colder countries. You may have to set up more heating than necessary just to maintain a stable temperature. Northerns like a really warm basking area.
I don't think a screen top is necessary (You do need a lid if you have a glass tank though!! They will escape!), so long as the bulbs you install inside the vivarium have safety guards on them to stop a curious bluey from touching. Wooden vivs have sliding front doors and usually no lid on top.
I can definitely see the benefits of a screen top, it all but eradicates the risk of burns.
I guess it depends on what you can configure and what you feel is safest.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue May 29, 2018 3:47 am

Something like this is perfect for a little baby and even a juvenile BTS up to 12 months old. See https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/vi ... 4&t=233480 , I started my two easterns (George & Mildred) off in 100L clear tubs (with clip on lids and wheels).
They hold the heat nicely (with lid on) and I give all my pet lizards a heated tile set up to be controlled by a thermostat as 24 hour secondary heat. This is how I set these up : https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/vi ... s#p1746469.

I would not recommend a glass kit viv or a converted glass aquarium (with a mesh top) for any lizard. Better off with either a plastic tub or a timber viv with sliding glass front doors.
Especially in a cold climate - the enclosed type vivs are going to be superior wrt holding the heat in. Screen tops are hopeless, and do nothing to hold the heat in the viv (warm air rises) and makes it necessary to use much higher wattage basking globes than you would need in timber viv with a solid timber top.

If your room is cold at night , seriously consider installing a CHE on an inline dimming thermostat to keep the baby BTS warmer overnight (not cooler than 22 degC overnight , their natural range is tropical northern Australia), you can check the climatic conditions in the natural range by going to the Australian BOM pages ( http://www.bom.gov.au/nt/index.shtml ). Ideal build for a baby NBTS is a 60cm L x 40cm W x 40cm H , for an adult is 1.2m L x 60cm W x 40cm H , built from 18mm thick plywood with 6mm thick soda glass or Perspex sliding front doors.

I currently have my eastern water skink Fluffy (a rescued wild skink we found in our back yard who was badly injured and near dead - believed was accidently hit by a grass trimmer by the neighbor or when my lawn guy mowed ?? ) who I nursed back from the brink and back to health and fitness who has become a very pampered and friendly pet now in one the old 100L rearing tubs. She's about 30g and fully grown .
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lifesagame » Wed May 30, 2018 3:42 am

I’ve found that my 4x2x2 foot vivexotix vivarium keeps the heat well, maybe a bit too well as with the recent warmer weather here in the uk I’m having to keep the one end slightly open and with the bottom blocked off to give extra cool air coming in. It’s 10 years old and none of the current ones have the same measurements but I think wood works well. I’ve only just got my BTS so I’m probably not the person to give advice on it but I think he likes the blocked off sides rather than glass all round and I can see there being problems keeping the heat in with a mesh top in colder weather.
BlueThunder
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueThunder » Thu May 31, 2018 4:51 am

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'm thinking of the platinum setup here: Does it look ok? I realise it is overkill for a baby, but I don't want to have to upgrade in a year when the skink gets bigger. :D

https://www.reptilecentre.com/info-bear ... ups-walnut

That setup has 2 x 50w basking and one ceramic. I've been told that 2 basking bulbs are not necessary, but I'm assuming 2 bulbs will hold the temperature better in a large viva+deep tank. Also the ceramic is only useful for holding temperature during the night, and if combined with a dimming thermo could essentially be off during the day, and only come on when the temperature is cold enough.
BlueThunder
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueThunder » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:04 am

I've now bought the tank above.

I plan to cover the bottom of the viv in slate for easy cleaning, but would really appreciate suggestions on the following for a baby Northern :-

1) Subtrates (possibly one area that is deep and allows hiding, and another where the animal wouldn't burrow)
2) Vitamins and supplements.

Thanks! Can't wait until the wee guy arrives :D
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:05 am

BlueThunder wrote:I've now bought the tank above.

I plan to cover the bottom of the viv in slate for easy cleaning, but would really appreciate suggestions on the following for a baby Northern :-

1) Subtrates (possibly one area that is deep and allows hiding, and another where the animal wouldn't burrow)
2) Vitamins and supplements.

Thanks! Can't wait until the wee guy arrives :D

If it's laminated MDF , it will need to be high grade kitchen/laundry/ bathroom/ wet room rated else it will not stand up well to permanent dampness - you'll wind up with swelling and delamination and ultimately iimber crumble.
If it's melamine - even worse.
BlueThunder
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueThunder » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:56 am

Hi KoN,

EDIT: You talking about the slate? D’oh! Completely misread what you were saying, thought you meant the tank! I was going to use natural, reclaimed slate, but will make sure I get the right sort. Thanks!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”