Lino/Vinyl in vivarium

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Lino/Vinyl in vivarium

Postby Yeshika » Mon May 28, 2018 11:16 pm

My Blue Tongue's vivarium is made of plastic coated chipboard, and I've been looking for a way to seal it to protect it from moisture in the long run. I've bought some aquarium silicone sealant, a giant roll of lino/vinyl and I'm currently looking for a way to adhere the lino to the chipboard in a way that will be non-toxic for my skink. I don't want any fumes given off by glue re-heating when I turn the temps up in there, so I'm wondering if the silicone will be enough to hold the lino in place? Planning on having it on the floor and walls. His substrate will go on top of it.
I know there are some concerns about the lino itself giving off fumes as it ages: This roll has come out of an apartment building, so I'd assume it'd have no fumes left in it to give out, and I've heated a section of it up to 45 degrees C just to see if it gave out any smells or melted. It did not.

What do you guys think? Any adhesives to recommend, or will they be unnecessary?

Thanks!
BlueThunder
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Lino/Vinyl in vivarium

Postby BlueThunder » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:41 am

I was wondering the same. I hopefully have a young Northern arriving soon and am putting it in a wooden viv. I need to know whether linoleum or ceramic tile is an option, or even slate.
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lifesagame » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:59 am

I used Lino with my beardie so similar heat to blueys and I found that on the floor it kind of ended up sticking itself to the viv so I’d think you may be ok without for the floor. For the walls I think the silicone would be enough, I’ve seen it used for glue and Lino isn’t that heavy. However no more nails type glues seem to be good for inside vivariums as far as fumes go as long as they’re left to cure and air out before the lizards move in. I’m just going by what I’ve been recommended, also self adhesive Velcro if you want to be able to remove and clean it.
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Yeshika » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:15 pm

I'll have a look into no more nails, just still worried about fumes after heating. I haven't installed anything yet, but want to get it done over the next few weeks
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lifesagame » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:37 am

It’s the adhesive that a lot of people use for making fake rock backgrounds, including ones like lizard landscapes, and a lot of those are left unsealed on the back. I also forgot, there is epoxy resin glue, if you can leave it overnight held in place by something. I don’t know if they’re all non toxic when they’ve cured but there are some that are.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”