Dosage for calcium/d3 with no uvb??? Also heat mat question.

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ADollopOfLazy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Dosage for calcium/d3 with no uvb??? Also heat mat question.

Postby ADollopOfLazy » Sun May 27, 2018 1:48 am

What would be the proper dosage of calcium and d3 if im keeping a blue tongue with no uvb? I know a lot of brands of calcium with d3 have differnet d3 concentrations so I'm generally confused how to be sure that my blue tongue would be getting enough d3 but not over dosing it because I've read that can be very harmful for bts. Also would it be possible to keep a blue tongue heated in a tub with just with a heat mat as long as its hooked up to a thermostat to regulate it? Also what heat mat brands are the best/safest? As a side note I do not own a blue tongue but plan to eventually when I feel educated enough to handle one.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Dosage for calcium/d3 with no uvb??? Also heat mat question.

Postby kayla990 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:47 am

Welcome and good that you're already researching before getting a Bluey :) While I don't have a definite answer for the calcium / D3 amounts without a uvb or brands (shall let someone else pitch in there, since EU brands differ a lot from US) I can help out with your second question. Generally Bluey's do better with overhead heating/basking spot to regulate themselves. I wouldn't recommend just a heatmat alone (even if it's hooked up to a thermostat).

In case you've not discovered it yet - depending which subspecies you'll get you'll also need make sure to also look into humidity. Indonesian types will need higher amounts compared to Australian species.

This site has a lot of good information in regards to care and diet, along with youtube channels such as ReptileMountain.TV
Goodluck!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
vana
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby vana » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:55 am

Well, why don't you get a UVB light for your skink?
xXxBORISxXx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby xXxBORISxXx » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:52 am

Hey there!
This video might answer a lot of your questions. It shows the exact dosage of supplement needed. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SSpHHSvD9I

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”