Snout rub-Urgent

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Emmadrewrox
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Snout rub-Urgent

Postby Emmadrewrox » Mon May 21, 2018 5:01 am

Just did a search for the Halmahera. Fiona seems to lack the markings in some spots.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:27 am

Yay thanks for the pics! Hmm, I have to admit - find it tricky ID'ing from the top, as leaning towards merauke again after seeing those (pretty girl btw!). But one thing I can suggest is having a peek at the underscales, if they look like ours below - then Halmahera :D

underscales_maya.jpg

Also great that you've been managing to keep the humidity on the high end already, I wouldn't have thought the scales should be too dry if you do indeed have a Merauke!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Emmadrewrox
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Emmadrewrox » Mon May 21, 2018 8:18 am

Yeah as I mentioned previously when I realized that obviously I didn’t have a northern and would definitely need higher humidity I made sure to stay on top of it. Sometimes if I forget to mist a couple days or something I am reminded by dry underbelly scales but don’t let hat happen much anymore since they have gotten pretty dry and I don’t want that to happen or any RIs. Her nose looks pretty weird rn. She washes it by dunking her head I’ve noticed lol. Not in a way I’m concerned about though. Going to cover enclosure today or tomorrow. The underbelly scales aren’t quite as defined on my skink but I agree she looks like yours. Of course Fiona is actually a he but I never remember to say he and don’t care enough to bother lol.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:06 am

Aww yep it can be tricky to stay on top of humidity :) We find it easiest to reach 80-90% by setting up a fogger on a timer throughout the day.
Emmadrewrox wrote:Of course Fiona is actually a he but I never remember to say he and don’t care enough to bother lol.
Haha know the feeling - we went for 'Maya', and we didn't change it when we found out he was a boy xD I hope Fiona's nose will improve soon, fingers crossed he'll stop rubbing it with changing around a few things!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Mon May 21, 2018 11:25 am

From the pictures, it looks like yours is a Merauke. However, it can be hard to tell sometimes. I hope with the paper and handling your Fiona will get better soon.
Emmadrewrox
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Emmadrewrox » Mon May 21, 2018 12:25 pm

Thank you to both of you for taking the time to reply so thouroughly. I will keep you updated. Not constantly don’t worry lol but still.
Emmadrewrox
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Emmadrewrox » Mon May 21, 2018 1:31 pm

Covering the tank now. Using wrapping paper. Should I cover all 4 sides and just leave length at the top to peak through or leave the front entirely open?
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Mon May 21, 2018 2:00 pm

Usually, just the three sides. Front and both sides. Most leave the back and top uncovered. Be careful around the lights.
Emmadrewrox
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Emmadrewrox » Mon May 21, 2018 8:12 pm

Ended up doing all four but leaving room at top to peak in. Just temporary, will do it better in the future though. Hope it works. The nose somehow is already healing don’t think it’s related of course but still good!
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Tue May 22, 2018 3:50 am

Glad to hear the nose appears to be healing. Just be careful with having all four sides covered, if and when you approach, you don't want to startle your skink. This could make things worse. Keep us posted on how things go.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:28 am

You've got a Merauke, and it wouldn't hurt to raise the humidity, but 70 percent shouldn't be a problem. My first question is how long have you had her? If it is a recent acquisition it's common for them to be restless, or even the opposite, constantly hide. Meraukes are often imported and many come in with mites. You can do the paper towel test for that. Dampen a towel with warm water and rub down your skink. If you see tiny black specks walking around there's your answer. There may also be some stuck shed on a few scales from improper shedding before. That's about all I have to offer, and if it's a long term captive you may disregard. Meraukes also have been known to go 'in season' at many different times of the year. This would be typical behavior for a male. As previously mentioned, check your temp gradients.
Emmadrewrox
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Emmadrewrox » Tue May 22, 2018 8:45 am

Thank you for all the advice but actually Fiona has been with me for a year and has been in captivity (assuming he was in fact captive born from wild mother or from the wild and imported) for i believe three or four years and rehomed two to three times. Not good but I can’t fix that. Had bark mites from aspen a while ago but never snake mites. My snake recently had them about two months ago so I had to be very careful not to transfer them. Sheds have been good recently. I hate that Fiona may have been taken from the wild but I didn’t know and regardless she had been in captivity years before I got her. Not trying to be defensive though. Again thanks for the advice. Also yes Fiona definitely is looking to mate. A few months back she notified me she was in fact he and does so daily (sperm plugs) since. Not at all aggressive but went off food a few months ago. Has been eating again for like two months now.
Emmadrewrox
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Emmadrewrox » Tue May 22, 2018 8:46 am

And as to not startling Fiona, I realize how it might and have been careful not to. And have started taking her out a bit more especially when she climbs. She is otherwise healthy and tame just the issue of snout rub.
Emmadrewrox
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Emmadrewrox » Wed May 23, 2018 6:02 pm

So Fiona kept climbing to try to get out or I guess see over the paper but wasn’t rubbing her snout. It was constant climbing and she seemed stressed. I was going to give her time to adjust but enough was enough so I took off the front paper and left on the rest. She stopped climbing and right away went back to snout rubbing within minutes. Back to square one I guess.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed May 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Alright you silly lizard, what are we going to do with you??? Sounds like as Splashy said, your Fiona is searching for a mate. I would try to get him out of his enclosure as much as you can while making sure to watch his every move. There unfortunately isn't much more you can do. Hopefully his hormones will settle down and he will stop.
Emmadrewrox
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Emmadrewrox » Wed May 23, 2018 8:02 pm

Okay thanks. Just hope they settle down before permanent damage is done. Lol. I have one horny lizard I guess. I know obviously skinks and dogs aren’t the same despite my constant reference to her (him) as a dog lol. But I was wondering will taking him out whenever rubbing or climbing renforce the behavior?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”