RI battle

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

RI battle

Postby Suzle87 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:03 am

Right, ventress had a clicking sound when breathing, no bubbles in eyes nose or mouth so I presume the beginnings of an RI. We went to the vets, got baytril and an anti inflammatory for 3 weeks, after 2 weeks of this with little improvement I invested in a nebuliser and f10.
I have been nebulising him twice a day for 20mins each time for 2 weeks, and the clicking appeared to stop. I dropped down to once a day yesterday... and now the clicking is back?!
Still no other symptoms?! He’s eating like a champ, pooping for Britain, and seems in a good active/sleep pattern.
Humidity never drops below 50 (very rare it is under 65 but lately I seem to be having odd dips in humidity)
Temp at cool end is 73.5f and at hot end is 93f with basking spot of 102f.
He has plenty of hides on each side wich he uses.
Humid hides also.
Anyone got any idea if this is an RI or something else? Any tweaks I should make to my husbandry?
Please any input is really welcome. Gonna do another week of 2 nebulising sessions a day then if he’s still not right it’s back to the vet. (Ps the vet did say that nebulising with f10 was the next mover so I just did it off my own back instead of waiting for him to tell me to and costing another consultation visit and stress of travel for venners)
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Re: RI battle

Postby Suzle87 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:04 am

Just to also add I gave him both medications for the entire 3 weeks as Prescribed.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:38 am

Awww sorry to hear you're going through this!

So quick thoughts: do you think the nebuliser stopped his clicking noises simply from the high humidity? I'd say try to bump up his humidity to around 80% and see how that goes (as it's also fine for meruakes/IJ's at that level). Glad to hear he's still eating and active though!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Fri May 18, 2018 3:31 pm

kayla990 wrote:Awww sorry to hear you're going through this!

So quick thoughts: do you think the nebuliser stopped his clicking noises simply from the high humidity? I'd say try to bump up his humidity to around 80% and see how that goes (as it's also fine for meruakes/IJ's at that level). Glad to hear he's still eating and active though!

Yeh I think you may be right, I’ll attempt to get humidity up by putting a second water bowl in, fogging a couple of times a day and il put some more moss in, any further suggestions are welcome.
I was going to get one of those cigar humidifiers I’ve seen people talk about but I can’t get my head round how to put them in/up if that makes sense?
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Sat May 19, 2018 1:39 am

Suzle87 wrote:I was going to get one of those cigar humidifiers I’ve seen people talk about but I can’t get my head round how to put them in/up if that makes sense?

Ooo that's interesting, first time hearing about those. Hmm, would be cool if you figured it out as first looks seems to be a compact small humidifier? Sounds like it could be ideal when needing to transport them somewhere :D
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Sat May 19, 2018 10:39 am

kayla990 wrote:
Suzle87 wrote:I was going to get one of those cigar humidifiers I’ve seen people talk about but I can’t get my head round how to put them in/up if that makes sense?

Ooo that's interesting, first time hearing about those. Hmm, would be cool if you figured it out as first looks seems to be a compact small humidifier? Sounds like it could be ideal when needing to transport them somewhere :D

Right just bought some aquarium glue and cigar humidifiers from eBay so will keep you posted when they arrive!!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:40 am

I used those cigar humidifiers when I had halmaheras a few years back. I installed them with Velcro. I had glass cages at the time so just stuck them on in the top corners. Something must have worked, as I never had any of the common issues with them. Huge water bowl, daily misting and those cigar things, and temps around 110/83
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:58 am

splashy07 wrote:I used those cigar humidifiers when I had halmaheras a few years back. I installed them with Velcro. I had glass cages at the time so just stuck them on in the top corners. Something must have worked, as I never had any of the common issues with them. Huge water bowl, daily misting and those cigar things, and temps around 110/83

Velcro is a good idea, I had initially ordered some glue but I am now veering towards velcro/command strips.
hopefully the cigar humidifiers will be here any day and then I can get them up and finally stop having to nebulise twice a day. (It's an absolute miracle ventress doesn't seem to hate me with everything I've had to put him through)
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:59 am

Quick update: i popped the cigar humidor thing into his vivarium at lunchtime, surprised me how much water the wierd sponge thing in it holds so it may well do the trick!
I will see how he goes on and let you all know. :thumbs:
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:07 am

Suzle87 wrote:Quick update: i popped the cigar humidor thing into his vivarium at lunchtime, surprised me how much water the wierd sponge thing in it holds so it may well do the trick!
I will see how he goes on and let you all know.

That's awesome to know! Haha may have to peek into it too.. as sounds useful to have one around if something unexpected happens! How is Ventress doing now?
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Sun May 27, 2018 1:59 am

kayla990 wrote:
Suzle87 wrote:Quick update: i popped the cigar humidor thing into his vivarium at lunchtime, surprised me how much water the wierd sponge thing in it holds so it may well do the trick!
I will see how he goes on and let you all know.

That's awesome to know! Haha may have to peek into it too.. as sounds useful to have one around if something unexpected happens! How is Ventress doing now?

Hi, yeh they seem to be working well, I put them up with some of those command strips (bathroom ones so they are waterproof) and it seems to have lifted the humidity slightly, I am still misting and using the fogger but not quite as much.
Ventress seems to be doing good, I’ve gone down to nebulising him once a day, there wasn’t a click sound the past two days when he breathes but I wanted to just keep doing it a bit longer to make sure. Thanks for asking, I really appreciate it and all your help. How is your Bluey doing?
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:25 am

Good idea to use waterproof strips ^__^ Glad to hear he's doing better overall! Agree it's good to continue for a bit longer, as can't hurt. And no problem - happy to be able to help out :D (along with learning a lot from your experiences too!).

So far everything seems to be going well on this side. Love to watch what they get up to! Currently trying to slowly transition to less feeding days - but finding it difficult as he'll sit with his nose against the glass and getting excited when I'm going to the kitchen.. so I keep giving in... but he's still a pretty lean skink, so it's easier to justify it :lol:
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Tue May 29, 2018 1:00 am

kayla990 wrote:Good idea to use waterproof strips ^__^ Glad to hear he's doing better overall! Agree it's good to continue for a bit longer, as can't hurt. And no problem - happy to be able to help out :D (along with learning a lot from your experiences too!).

So far everything seems to be going well on this side. Love to watch what they get up to! Currently trying to slowly transition to less feeding days - but finding it difficult as he'll sit with his nose against the glass and getting excited when I'm going to the kitchen.. so I keep giving in... but he's still a pretty lean skink, so it's easier to justify it :lol:

Haha, how old is yours? We seem to get to the same mile stones at similar times, we are also trying to cut down the amount of days he's fed a week at the moment, but it's so much easier said than done!
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:18 am

Suzle87 wrote:Haha, how old is yours? We seem to get to the same mile stones at similar times, we are also trying to cut down the amount of days he's fed a week at the moment, but it's so much easier said than done!

Think we're pretty similar! I think ours was born late October, so we're guessing around 7 months (such a shame the seller didn't know, would have loved to know the exact date). Haha definitely easier said than done with the food...it's too fun to try them on new things! How is Ventress growing? Just did a weigh in for ours a few minutes ago, sitting at 385g and 50cm long.. but he's still like 50% tail long :D
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:24 am

kayla990 wrote:
Suzle87 wrote:Haha, how old is yours? We seem to get to the same mile stones at similar times, we are also trying to cut down the amount of days he's fed a week at the moment, but it's so much easier said than done!

Think we're pretty similar! I think ours was born late October, so we're guessing around 7 months (such a shame the seller didn't know, would have loved to know the exact date). Haha definitely easier said than done with the food...it's too fun to try them on new things! How is Ventress growing? Just did a weigh in for ours a few minutes ago, sitting at 385g and 50cm long.. but he's still like 50% tail long :D

Ventress is 5 months now, I haven't weighed him lately because I am struggling to find something to put onto the scales to put him in and keep him still haha, I will give it a go later and get back to you.
He is growing well I think, although I did think he looked a bit skinny yesterday but i think that is just my guilt at not feeding him every day. He had his food early this morning to give it plenty of time to digest, and then i might take him a couple of blueberries home... if you can't treat your skink who can you treat! :D :thumbs:
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:40 am

So cute! Haha we use a kitchen cutting board since it's quite big, but still not easy keeping those tails on the scales :D

Suzle87 wrote:He is growing well I think, although I did think he looked a bit skinny yesterday but i think that is just my guilt at not feeding him every day.
I still do that too! Haha, it's tricky to know since they can become pancake-like when basking, then super slim when trying to fit somewhere they shouldn't!

Suzle87 wrote: if you can't treat your skink who can you treat!
Very true!! Mmm blueberries are a great go-to ^__^ tried him out on watermelon today, but didn't seem that fussed yet! Maybe next time..
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:43 am

kayla990 wrote:So cute! Haha we use a kitchen cutting board since it's quite big, but still not easy keeping those tails on the scales :D

Suzle87 wrote:He is growing well I think, although I did think he looked a bit skinny yesterday but i think that is just my guilt at not feeding him every day.
I still do that too! Haha, it's tricky to know since they can become pancake-like when basking, then super slim when trying to fit somewhere they shouldn't!

Suzle87 wrote: if you can't treat your skink who can you treat!
Very true!! Mmm blueberries are a great go-to ^__^ tried him out on watermelon today, but didn't seem that fussed yet! Maybe next time..

Try him again with it sometime, Ventress didn't touch kiwi one week (I had laced it with his medication but i don't think he knew) and then the next week I tried him again with it and he LOVED it, I'd say kiwi is his fave fruit, and contrary to the norm he doesn't have any interest in banana whatsoever! (hes a little wierdo, but hes my wierdo)
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:51 am

Shall do! Ooo, didn't think of trying kiwi.. that's another to add to the list :D I agree they don't always take to new food (even when you know they should like it.. lost count how many times it's been like "just try it! I promise you'll like it...!). Funny with the banana with Ventress, we had the same response - but 3rd try he's decided he now does like it :D
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:48 am

kayla990 wrote:Shall do! Ooo, didn't think of trying kiwi.. that's another to add to the list :D I agree they don't always take to new food (even when you know they should like it.. lost count how many times it's been like "just try it! I promise you'll like it...!). Funny with the banana with Ventress, we had the same response - but 3rd try he's decided he now does like it :D

Well I failed at weighing him! Tried in a box, on a plate alsorts but he just escapes and jiggles about too much for the scales to weigh him, I think I’m going to have to invest in some different scales with a deepish big bowl attached so he can’t escape so quick!!
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:20 pm

Suzle87 wrote:Tried in a box, on a plate alsorts but he just escapes and jiggles about too much for the scales to weigh him,

Haha aww, that's adorable he won't sit still - little rebel! Don't really have any tips that you've not tried xD we've sometimes used food as an incentive to stay, but it's hit or miss if it works! Goodluck if you get different scales :D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”