Basking spot temps

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
megamuff
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Basking spot temps

Postby megamuff » Fri May 18, 2018 5:47 am

Hey everyone, I’ve posted a few things on here but no one will really respond. I’ll hopefully be getting a northern blue tongue skink within the next week or so, and I can’t get the basking spot hot enough. I read that it should be between 100 and 102. My basking spot stays between 94 and 96. I don’t know what to do to make it hotter. I have a 100 watt and 60 watt bulb right beside each other but they just won’t get hotter than 96. I was going to get a 120 watt bulb but I can’t really find one. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or can a northern be healthy with a basking spot around 95?
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Basking spot temps

Postby lifesagame » Fri May 18, 2018 9:47 am

Is there any way for you to lower the basking spot bulb and still have it a safe distance from the basking spot itself if the rest of the temps are right? I’ve had a similar problem with my setup, I’m also getting my first BTS soon, and found that helped. I don’t know about what temps they’re ok with though, sorry I can’t answer that bit. :)
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:09 am

lifesagame wrote:Is there any way for you to lower the basking spot bulb and still have it a safe distance from the basking spot itself if the rest of the temps are right? I’ve had a similar problem with my setup, I’m also getting my first BTS soon, and found that helped. I don’t know about what temps they’re ok with though, sorry I can’t answer that bit. :)

Same kind of thing as lifesagame has said, I had this problem and thought “if the sun was closer to the earth it’d be hotter” then finally realised after going through different strength bulbs that I could raise my basking platform by adding more earth underneath it! It just didn’t enter my head for ages but once I figured it it solved my problem
megamuff
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby megamuff » Fri May 18, 2018 11:10 am

Suzle87 wrote:
lifesagame wrote:Is there any way for you to lower the basking spot bulb and still have it a safe distance from the basking spot itself if the rest of the temps are right? I’ve had a similar problem with my setup, I’m also getting my first BTS soon, and found that helped. I don’t know about what temps they’re ok with though, sorry I can’t answer that bit. :)

Same kind of thing as lifesagame has said, I had this problem and thought “if the sun was closer to the earth it’d be hotter” then finally realised after going through different strength bulbs that I could raise my basking platform by adding more earth underneath it! It just didn’t enter my head for ages but once I figured it it solved my problem

I thought about raising the spot or putting the lamp closer but I’m not sure how. If I used the substrate to lift the basking spot, I’d have to use a lot and I don’t want to do that if I don’t have to.
I wondered about lowering the light but idk if I can. I have a 40 gallon breeder and the lid is in two parts. The back part (since it doesn’t open) is the one that I have the lights on. There’s a small hole about 1-2 inches in diameter for filter tubes to run through (it was originally bought for a turtle). I thought about getting a light stand and trying to put the arm through that hole, but I’m worried about that making the light too close where the skink would be able to reach it and burn himself.
What do you think would be the best option of the two? The basking spot is a big tube thing. I also wondered if there was something I could put that on to raise it, but I can’t think of a way to do it where he’d still be able to climb it.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:25 am

Similar to above; with the idea of getting closer to the bulb - easiest way would be to put something on top of the basking spot (such as a large rock). If it's textured they should be able to climb onto it. In theory dark rocks will hold the heat for longer, but we've got a white large stone underneath that also holds temperature well (I think it's quartz). If this doesn't seem possible, try post your current set up then maybe see if we can find any solutions :D
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
megamuff
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby megamuff » Fri May 18, 2018 3:35 pm

kayla990 wrote:Similar to above; with the idea of getting closer to the bulb - easiest way would be to put something on top of the basking spot (such as a large rock). If it's textured they should be able to climb onto it. In theory dark rocks will hold the heat for longer, but we've got a white large stone underneath that also holds temperature well (I think it's quartz). If this doesn't seem possible, try post your current set up then maybe see if we can find any solutions :D

I tried the rock under the light, but it didn’t get very hot (only about 83 degrees). Here’s the set up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Yeshika » Fri May 18, 2018 9:06 pm

My skink's basking spot is half of a terracotta pot, and i've found it to be easy for him to get on and off of. They make those in different sizes, so if you were keen to DIY it you could use half of one of those to get to the height you want it. They retain heat pretty well too, he has a warm hide at night time even when the basking light goes off.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri May 18, 2018 10:18 pm

Northern BTS
I believe you need a basking spot in the range 36 degC - 40 degC
&
UV rated at least 24W and about 10% -12%UVB.

For my Eastern BTS (George and Mildred) I use jumbo sized hubba-huts as they hides and these double as basking spots. A hollow pyramid of concrete pavers will do nicely too and provide a nice spaceous hide and nice wide flat basking spot that will also hold the heat nicely too.

Note : the UV needs to mounted under the mesh lid NOT ontop , because the mesh will block about 40% of the UV which negates the use of a reflector hood or dome. See https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/vi ... 4&t=235611 for more information , I think for a NBTS you need to aim for about 160-200 microW UVB / sq.cm as this is similar to the UV they are exposed to in their natural range in mid morning and mid afternoon.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Sat May 19, 2018 1:34 am

Ahh that's useful to see - yep ideally you'll want the mesh to not be blocking the UV (as kingofbobbys' said). You can either try to mount it underneath the mesh lid (can't find too many easy DiY methods for this, but if you're able to find a way that could fix the temperature) alternatively I would personally say to make a hole in the mesh - slightly smaller than the dome light size so it can rest on top of the mesh as you have it now, but nothing is blocking the UV light.

So as the rock was not large enough/didn't hold heat, I would get hold of a sturdy object (such as a plastic tub) that you can turn upsidedown and place the large stone on top of that so it can't be pushed around. By being closer it should reach higher temperatures (or use a dark stone instead like slate). You can also cut a hole into the tub to make it into an extra hide. If you place your wooden tunnel next to the tub they should be able to climb on it; or you may be able to find a flat piece to use as a ramp, such as cork bark).

Let us know how it goes!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
megamuff
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby megamuff » Sun May 20, 2018 8:43 pm

kayla990 wrote:Ahh that's useful to see - yep ideally you'll want the mesh to not be blocking the UV (as kingofbobbys' said). You can either try to mount it underneath the mesh lid (can't find too many easy DiY methods for this, but if you're able to find a way that could fix the temperature) alternatively I would personally say to make a hole in the mesh - slightly smaller than the dome light size so it can rest on top of the mesh as you have it now, but nothing is blocking the UV light.

So as the rock was not large enough/didn't hold heat, I would get hold of a sturdy object (such as a plastic tub) that you can turn upsidedown and place the large stone on top of that so it can't be pushed around. By being closer it should reach higher temperatures (or use a dark stone instead like slate). You can also cut a hole into the tub to make it into an extra hide. If you place your wooden tunnel next to the tub they should be able to climb on it; or you may be able to find a flat piece to use as a ramp, such as cork bark).

Let us know how it goes!

I’m not using uv, I’m just supplementing for now. I’ve read a lot into it and I want to try just supplementing. I found an old shoe box, cut it down a little bit, attached popsicle sticks (to make it look better lol), and placed the basking spot on top of that. Now it’s between 100 and 102 so it should be good!! I attached a new picture with it but I’m not sure how well you can see it. Just let me know and I can attach more pictures. Thank you for all of your help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”