UV Experts out there?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Crazyexplorer
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

UV Experts out there?

Postby Crazyexplorer » Thu May 17, 2018 5:24 pm

Hey Guys!
I'm looking to clarify the UV questions. My BT has a UV Fluro and Calcium with D3, but everyone will tell you that "It's good to take them outside", etc. My queries:

1. If the only place you can take them in a given moment is a yard that is open to the sky directly above but is receiving no sun because you are in the shadow of the house (&/or surrounding houses) or because it is an overcast day, is that of much benefit? And is it also about checking the weather UV index (like right now is evidently 2) and a really low index is next to useless?

2. If you could take them for a stroll and there is even perhaps sun on them, but it is cold (air and ground) because it is Autumn or Winter, is the cold (& the shock of going from the warmth to the cold) worse for them than the sun is beneficial?

I'm just talking UV here, not the benefits of a stroll on morale. He can stroll around the house (where it's warmer) and explore (both my yards are boring too and the backyard is just concrete). ;)

Thanks guys!
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: UV Experts out there?

Postby kayla990 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:48 am

Not an expert with UV - but:

1. I think you only get a tiny amount of UV if in the shade (so doesn't seem worth it). I believe over cast days allow a bit more, but still not a substantial amount.

2. And with the outdoors stroll, I reckon it's better to avoid cooler temperatures - as seems it can play a role on health (such as assisting in digestion). In general, consistent conditions are better (as like you say, can be a bit of a shock/stressful if they can't regulate themselves). I'd say that the benefits of UV don't outweigh the change in temperature ^__^

And to say, only take them out if it's safe to, don't feel forced you should from others saying you must! I'm quite sure there are plenty who are kept fully indoors during their lifetime with no problems (if they are supplementing fine!).
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Crazyexplorer
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Crazyexplorer » Fri May 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Thanks for the input, Kayla990! Seems to support what I was thinking. I'll try to keep an eye out for safe outdoor opportunities in good weather, but try not to feel too guilty otherwise! :wink:
vana
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby vana » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:48 am

I keep my skink in a ferret cage (ferret nation) on the back porch in warm weather. I've been using it for 10+ years and it works well.

They have a newer "critter nation" cage with less space between in the bars now, and that might work better.

https://www.midwesthomes4pets.com/produ ... ingle-unit

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”