DIY "Great Stuff" background?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
AutoXSS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

DIY "Great Stuff" background?

Postby AutoXSS » Wed May 16, 2018 12:48 pm

Anyone ever try one Of these for BTS? I wonder if it works for this species? My concern is if they pick at it and break it up or ignore it as simply a wall

I was thinking also of siliconed flat rock up the sides about half what up and doing the spray foam treatment the rest of the way up with bark embedded for aesthetics
K4p1nkrunch
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: DIY "Great Stuff" background?

Postby K4p1nkrunch » Wed May 16, 2018 6:56 pm

Ive made a couple great stuff backgrounds, not for blueys however. My meruke did go into a setup i had already, temporarily when he first came home. Given body and climbing habits alone i think you should cover as much GS with cork bark and fake rocks. Keep GS recessed as much as possible and clean up all silicone strands and apply coco/moss as deep as possible. After silicone has dried and you brush out excess, my opnion here but stuff hard with sphagnum moss. It should stay in well and help keep humidity up. I didnt plan ahead enough to put in a background for my bluey's current viv, but i will when he gets upgraded.
Good travels
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: DIY "Great Stuff" background?

Postby kayla990 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:49 am

Agree with K4p1nkrunch - you'll want as little of the 'Great stuff' exposed as possible if you go down that route. Similarly, I've also built a tank for our gecko using the typical method (polystyrene, GS, silicone, coco coir) but I honestly don't think this combination alone would be strong enough for an adult bluey. While epoxy resin may hold up fine as a sealer with GS instead of silicone - instead it may be better to try a different method for a Bluey - using animal-safe concrete.

You can still build up the base using polystrene (or potentially do a test piece with GS and see if cement reacts well once covered). When the cement has cured you can then decorate with a texture (such as coco coir attached by silicone - though over time it does seem to wear away under basking spots; along with the suggested cork bark, rocks or sphagnum moss). If you choose this route, make sure you look into the cement brand you use, as some are not suitable for a vivarium/animal use/humidity. Sadly don't have links to advise further on that for now!

AutoXSS wrote:My concern is if they pick at it and break it up or ignore it as simply a wall

Haha well there is one way they 'ignore it as simply a wall' - you may find your Bluey decides that climbing a 3d background is fun! You'll want to make sure they can't escape by climbing to the top xD
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”