Blankets in enclosure?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
TiaJayne96
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Blankets in enclosure?

Postby TiaJayne96 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:07 pm

Hi there! I'm getting a BTS in the future and I have a question about the setup. I know a lot of bearded dragon owners use fleece blankets as substrate because they're warm, the lizard can burrow and they're easy to clean. I was wondering if anyone has done this with their BTS? I have Cypress mulch which I heard is good my only concern is it might be difficult to spot clean or if I'll even be able to see the poop amongst the mulch. It's a little unorthodox but could it work? Of course the wellbeing of the little guy is the most important thing so even if the mulch is more difficult I'll use it if it's best. What's your experience with all this?
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Blankets in enclosure?

Postby Yeshika » Sat May 12, 2018 9:06 pm

As long as it's not carpet or a fluffy material that it's claws could snag onto, it should be absolutely fine to have some fabric in there. I have a pile of fleece off-cuts in with my skink, and he loves to snuffle around in them. You could give him a box with substrate in it too, so he can dig in a more 'natural' way. As long as your skink is happy, and you are able to keep humidity up for species that need it, it shouldn't be an issue at all. Just make sure the fabric has no loose fibers that the skink could eat.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Sun May 13, 2018 8:14 am

My sweet Sheila has an oversized thick washcloth. She loves it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun May 13, 2018 8:50 am

Don't do any harm , and likely gives a pampered pet lizard a nice place to curl up and nap.
But lizards , unlike mammals don't generate much in the way of body heat, and rely on heat in their surrounding to warm them up, so a blanket will only keep a warm lizard warm for while until the lizard cools by loosing heat to the cool environment , unlike a mammal that continually generates heat who will stay warm in a blanket.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:13 am

Won't keep them warm, true, but they just love to mess around in soft things. Makes for some really cute photo ops. I probably have a thousand...
Happyherper
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Happyherper » Mon May 14, 2018 9:43 pm

I heard about this with beardies, and that monitors can bond with keepers over smell, so I just got a plain white shirt and wore it for a day before putting it in my meraukee's cage, and he loved the fabrick and how warm it was. it also made him much more likely to come up to me.
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Yeshika » Mon May 14, 2018 9:48 pm

Happyherper wrote:I heard about this with beardies, and that monitors can bond with keepers over smell, so I just got a plain white shirt and wore it for a day before putting it in my meraukee's cage, and he loved the fabrick and how warm it was. it also made him much more likely to come up to me.

I've just moved my Eastern into a new vivarium, might do this to get him used to it. He's comfortable in his old one and sitting on me, but isn't too keen on the new one yet

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”