Blue Tongue Skink Mites

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
mstriluk
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Blue Tongue Skink Mites

Postby mstriluk » Wed May 09, 2018 10:20 am

On Saturday, I had removed some skin that did not come off fully during my skinks last shed and underneath were some (quite a few) mites. They dispersed once I removed the skin and I had some on my hands as well. Since then, I have used Natural Chemistry Reptile Mite spray on both Nigel and the enclosure and baths daily. There have been less and less mites coming off of him daily. However, last night I put him back in the tank with some paper towels down and when I checked on him this morning, there were a few (maybe 5) mites crawling around on the paper towels and another bath showed a few more that came off. I have had him for a few months and am just concerned. I want to make sure that I am doing everything right for the situation. How long does it normally take for the mites to go away? Is there anything else I should be doing to help get rid of them? Thank you for your help!
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Blue Tongue Skink Mites

Postby kayla990 » Thu May 10, 2018 2:00 am

Aww, sounds like you're onto a good start though! Since you're in USA - frontline has been a good method for others (for post reference, can check viewtopic.php?t=29388 - good tips).

Most suggest using paper towels (as you already are!); and if you've got an indonesian species, use big water dishes under heat lamps along with damp sponges hung up on the wall to keep humidity up. Vacuum spaces outside the tank too (carpets, curtains etc) so they can't get back into the tank at a later time.

I'm not fully sure on the time frame, but may need to be vigilant for around 2 weeks (hopefully they'll be gone in less time since you're already getting progress!). Another good mite thread can be found at: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30930

Of course ask any further questions if you have them!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Re: Blue Tongue Skink Mites

Postby Suzle87 » Thu May 10, 2018 2:19 am

Kayla has given some ace advice there as usual, and the thread about me and Ventress and our mite adventure she posted should be useful.
I just thought I'd quickly go over what I did and time frame here for you as it might help:

I used Callington spray, you spray the vivarium (without skink or water/food bowls in) leave for I think it was 20 mins (check directions in the lid of the can) then place skink back in the viv while it is still slightly fogged up with the spray. This way killing all live mites (all being well) on your skink and in the vivarium.
Water bowl has to be kept out of the vivarium for 24 hours to prevent skink soaking and ingesting the callington.
After 24 hrs return the water bowl.
A further 74 hrs later empty out all substrate (in your case paper towels so should be alot less faff than having to do a full clean out)this gets rid of any mite eggs in substrate.
Each day spray surrounding area of vivarium (and I hoovered around it aswell....then sprayed into my hoover.....) to kill any escapees.
Pop skink in a very simple set up with paper towels etc for 7 days.
If required repeat and do a second treatment as above.
I did a second treatment, another 3 days on towels (replaced regularly) then got it all back to normal for him because the paper towels were stressing us both out!

http://www.callingtonhaven.com/_assets/ ... eSpray.pdf here is the link to instructions for callington spray, some people leave the animal in with it but i didn't feel comfortable doing this.
Touch wood I have not seen a single mite since and I really do think that spray is worth every penny even though it is a little on the expensive side.

Let us know how you get on and sorry if this post isn't much further help than already available. All the best :thumbs:

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”