Which one?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Smidgeyy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Which one?

Postby Smidgeyy » Mon May 07, 2018 6:06 am

Which blue tongue would you recommend for someone who has never owned a reptile before?

I know a Northern is popular but they’re difficult to find depending on the time of the year. I’m not ready for one yet since I’m still researching, but I thought that could get some good opinions!

I live in PA so humidity can be high. My chinchilla also requires temperatures under 70 so the room the skink will be in is on a colder side(unless I manage to find a new place before I’m ready for one).

This being my first reptile, I just want to make sure I get something to match my experience level. Any opinions would be great!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Which one?

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon May 07, 2018 6:14 am

A blotchy (alpine BST) ....
They are found in south-eastern parts of Australia, including Tasmania and the islands of Bass Strait. In the northern parts of their range, such as the Central Tablelands of NSW, they are generally restricted to highland areas, whereas in southern Victoria and Tasmania, they can be found on or near the coast in some areas. Some herpetologists describe two distinct forms of this species - a highland or alpine form and a lowland or southern form. Specimens from the northern parts of the species range (alpine form) are generally larger, blacker and tend to have more colourful blotches on their backs, which are sometimes pale pink, salmon-pink, or orange in colour.
Happyherper
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Happyherper » Mon May 07, 2018 8:05 am

Meraukee skinks take fairly high humidity (especially when compared to northerns). any of the heat issues can be fixed with under tank heaters or heat bulbs.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:20 am

We can't get blotchies here. And when we can they're up in the thousands. Go for a northern, they are worth the wait and are more forgiving of beginner's errors. Baby season is just about here for them in the states, and runs till late July. Average early/late June when mine are expected!
Smidgeyy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Smidgeyy » Mon May 07, 2018 11:36 am

I don’t think I’ll be ready for one this season, but I don’t want to miss out and have to wait another year to get one either.

A Northern was what I was leaning towards.

PA is either really humid or around like 40%.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:37 am

I live in New York on Long Island and it is humid here too. That does not affect the environments of my reptiles. They're not running around, they're in temperature controlled cages. You shouldn't have any issues, as there are keepers and breeders in parts of Florida that makes our humidity a joke. Heat lamps in cages pretty much destroy humidity, and the main issue is keeping it up a bit for proper shedding. That's the reason I abandoned glass cages and went to the PVC type. Dryness seems to be more of a problem than humidity, from what I've seen. If you go for an Indonesian type, extra humidity is well appreciated, and essential. Unfortunately, many Indos (most) are imports and come in with pre-existing issues from improper care. Meraukes, Halmaheras and Irian Jayas are the most common Indonesians in the pet trade. There are a few successful breeders of these if you can find them, IJs being the most popular cbb. You'd probably end up paying the same as you would for a Northern in this case, so for simplicity I'd stick with that.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”