Skink had a "Panic attack"

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Taliats
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Skink had a "Panic attack"

Postby Taliats » Sun May 06, 2018 8:37 am

I took her soaking bowl out of her viv to wash and refill. When I was putting it back, she was standing where I wanted to put it, so, as I do every time I need to move her, I picked her up to put her to the side for a moment.

This time was different, however, normally she is only a bit huffy when I pick her up but calms down when I actually have hold of her. But this time, she immediately started to squirm, it caught me off guard, I heard a sort of cracking noise come from her back when she made the sudden movement to get away. She then proceeded to empty the contents of her bowels all over me, a thing that I know is a sign of stress.

I am concerned as normally she is quite mellow and calm, what was the cracking noise that I heard? What set her off?

It can't be the way I hold her because I let her body rest on my arm and her head in my other hand, her whole body is always supported..
lmau
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Lisa Mauro

Re: Skink had a "Panic attack"

Postby lmau » Sun May 06, 2018 8:56 am

Sometimes things that don't normally spook them end up spooking them. They are prey animals so will always have a heightened "fight or flight" response. I've had my skink for a year and most of the time he is very chill, but there are still some times where I simply walk by his enclosure and he runs for the hills. It just depends on the day, lol.

What I am most concerned about is the cracking noise. Could she have scraped something with her nails to make the noise? If it was her back, I would be watching her VERY closely for any odd behavior or movement. Make sure she is moving normally, and keeping up her typical behaviors of eating and basking. If something is off, a vet visit is never a bad idea. I hope she ends up being okay!
Taliats
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Taliats » Sun May 06, 2018 12:13 pm

I let her run around on my bed while I did work at my computer, she seems to be moving fine and is in a much better mood now, I will be sure to keep an eye on her over the next few days though.
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Y33T » Sun May 06, 2018 5:41 pm

I think the cracking noise isn’t necessarily bad. When I handle my 2 year old and when he panics I hear his back crack. I got scared the first time I heard it but later on it doesn’t seem to worry me. I just assume its the same as us cracking our backs and other joints.
As long there’s no other symptoms your bluey should be fine.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun May 06, 2018 6:10 pm

I find it calms my gang if i talk quietly to them and give them a gentle pat on the head and back before I lift them out pick them up..... works a treat with my little rescued water skink Fluffy who was once a wild skink until I rescued and nursed her back to health .

Nice warm fingers and hands helps too .... how would you like someone placing icicles of fingers on your naked body ..... ???
Happyherper
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Happyherper » Sun May 06, 2018 8:12 pm

I find that Al my skink who I have owned for 6 years is generally calm, but somethimes he will get cranky, and when this happens a "peace offering" of some banana, dubias or hornworms, as well as putting my hands on the radiator for a little before I tough him helps a lot. also if they are really too cold they are a potato, but if they are not cold, but also not warm enough to be fully awake, then they become very grumpy, just because they are like half asleep and then a gigantic creature graps them. it is like when you are sleeping and somebody graps you or surprises you.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”