How is my 1-year-old Skink's Diet?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
xXxBORISxXx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

How is my 1-year-old Skink's Diet?

Postby xXxBORISxXx » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:24 am

Hi Guys!
My Nothern BTS Rupert turns 1-year-old this week, and I would really appreciate if I could get some thoughts on the diet I provide for him (or her lol). I want my skink to live a long and healthy life, and provide the best possible care for them. I'd love to hear what you think about this diet!
I feed my skink every 3rd day. I sprinkle calcium d3 on top once a week. I rotate between these 3 foods:
1) Dog food
IMG_4164.jpg

IMG_4163.jpg

2) Repashy's Bluey Buffet
Ingredients are: Black Soldier Fly Larvae Meal, Dried Egg, Dandelion, Squid Meal, Banana, Alfalfa, Whey Protein, Stabilized Rice Bran, Dried Seaweed Meal, Coconut Meal, Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Calcium Carbonate, Citric Acid, L-Methionine, Taurine, Dried Kelp, Salt, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (as preservatives), Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Manganese Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Copper Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate. Vitamins: (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex).

3) Arcadia EarthPro OmniGold
Ingredients: Poultry Meal, Carrot, Mealworm, Calcium, Protein Powder, Shrimp, Celery, Beetles, Locust Bean
Gum, Apple, Mineral Powder, Parsley, Silkworm, Dandelion, Dextrose, Alfalfa, Squash, Blood
Powder, Snails, Papaya, Banana, Broccoli, Whole Egg, Hibiscus, Earthworm, Vitamin B Premix,
Raspberry, Spirulina, Honey, Bee Pollen, Blueberry
Vitamin B1 10mg/kg, Vitamin B2 16mg/kg, Vitamin B6 20mg/kg, Vitamin B12 50mcg/kg, Vitamin K 6mg/kg, Nicotinic 80mg/kg, Pantothenic 40mg/kg, Folic Acid 5mg/kg. Biotin 1000mcg/kg

Thanks for reading guys :) just want to make sure I'm providing a balanced and healthy diet for my little guy because he means the world to me. <3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: How is my 1-year-old Skink's Diet?

Postby kayla990 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:24 pm

You may find different opinions on the 'optimum' diet - but shall give a few approaches commonly seen :wink:

1) Rotating between 'complete' food: Repashy/Arcadia products are considered to be good quality and a good complete food for Blueys - for some species such as geckos they can be fed on it soley for a lifetime and have no health problems. I'm not sure how much research there is for long term health for Blueys. Imo it's good to rotate between brands (as you are), in case one doesn't quite cover the diet/micro nutrients correctly. Some breeders claim that using complete food is fine long term - in addition to what you're doing with adding calcium +d3 occasionally. However, because I believe as that Bluey Buffet/Arcadia Pro is quite high in protein to use purely - I use the method below.

2) Using 'complete' food with fresh: I generally don't do a feeding with just one food item. I usually mix in complete food such as the Bluey Buffet along with greens (leafy lettuce, watercress etc), protein - often in the form of slow cooked meats/eggs/high quality cat or dog food; filler - butternut squash or pumpkin recently, and a small amount of fruit (berries, mango, banana). Personally, I prefer doing this as it provides a range of vitamins/nutrients from diverse sources, while still providing a partial complete food to cover anything that may be missing (~30% per feeding).

3) Some will never use complete food. As it's fair to say that they wouldn't come across such things in the wild, and having quite soft food (depending on what you use) may not be fantastic for long term tooth health - since the products are more jelly form. A lot of products seem to add in 'cheap' fillers, such as fish bi-products or wheat which is not ideal for Blueys. It can be tricky to say how much the fillers affect the final product, as for example - I see cod being listed in the dog food you listed, but I can't directly say if it's good or bad as there's not much details on it.

Difficult to say what the best approach is :) I like #2 both because it gives an excuse to explore more food and seeing what preferences he has. If the the balance isn't perfect, then it's got a back up of vitamins from Repashy products. Dog/cat food alone may not be too great long term, perhaps on days where you use only dog food - you can add in more greens/vegetables/fruit to make it more balanced.
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”