UK GREENS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

UK GREENS

Postby Suzle87 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:39 am

I keep referring back to the food chart and am really struggling with what greens I can get in the UK.
Rocket is no problem so I get him rocket every week, spring greens I get but it doesn't actually say what they are so they make me a little nervous.
Would love some input from anyone in the UK (or anyone really of greens I can look out for)
Having no luck whatsoever with mustard greens, beet greens etc. so getting a bit wound up about it, just want to be able to supply what he needs.
I look forward to lots of suggestions off you lovely people! thankyooooou :thumbs:
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: UK GREENS

Postby kayla990 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:39 am

Ugh I feel your pain! I'm actually a Brit who moved to NL - so knowing what to get in both English terms and Dutch has been so confusing! :lol:

One way to make sure what you're getting is to grow your own herbs. I've got water cress, garden cress and endive seeds from a garden center (marked safe for human consumption too); which are growing indoors. You can also get hold of reptile specific seeds, such as Lucky Reptile which includes things like chickweed, ribwort, yellow clover, dandelions etc. It seems a good mix - at least growing well so far (and I really don't have a green thumb! Simply put them all in a container in a sunny windowsill, and water with osmosis water).

Otherwise pre-done salad bags can be an option. Though I'd be careful that they list what ingredients they say, as of course don't want any with onions or rhubarb - and try to avoid iceberg lettuce; since it's little nutritional value. The terms get so confusing, seems every place pretty much make up their own terms for greens xD I believe the general rule of thumb for lettuce: the darker the leaf, the more nutritional value (of course, can't say for sure how true this is!). As always, just need to make sure it's washed well before use.

Anywho! One we've had success with is 'Lambs Lettuce', which can be found in places like Morrisons. Or as mentioned, water cress is considered to have good nutritional stats. The method I used was to scout out shops (either in person or online) and list out what they specifically had in the packet - such as taking a phone pic of the back of the package to refer to. Probably a bit more extreme than needed, but I also didn't want to risk guessing a translation!

Hopefully a start :D
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:09 am

kayla990 wrote:Ugh I feel your pain! I'm actually a Brit who moved to NL - so knowing what to get in both English terms and Dutch has been so confusing! :lol:

One way to make sure what you're getting is to grow your own herbs. I've got water cress, garden cress and endive seeds from a garden center (marked safe for human consumption too); which are growing indoors. You can also get hold of reptile specific seeds, such as Lucky Reptile which includes things like chickweed, ribwort, yellow clover, dandelions etc. It seems a good mix - at least growing well so far (and I really don't have a green thumb! Simply put them all in a container in a sunny windowsill, and water with osmosis water).

Otherwise pre-done salad bags can be an option. Though I'd be careful that they list what ingredients they say, as of course don't want any with onions or rhubarb - and try to avoid iceberg lettuce; since it's little nutritional value. The terms get so confusing, seems every place pretty much make up their own terms for greens xD I believe the general rule of thumb for lettuce: the darker the leaf, the more nutritional value (of course, can't say for sure how true this is!). As always, just need to make sure it's washed well before use.

Anywho! One we've had success with is 'Lambs Lettuce', which can be found in places like Morrisons. Or as mentioned, water cress is considered to have good nutritional stats. The method I used was to scout out shops (either in person or online) and list out what they specifically had in the packet - such as taking a phone pic of the back of the package to refer to. Probably a bit more extreme than needed, but I also didn't want to risk guessing a translation!

Hopefully a start :D

Haha you are spot on with them all making their own names for greens!! I'm glad it's not just me who has had this issue!!
It's payday today so sounds like that lucky reptile seed mix would be a good purchase (I am the same as you with lacking in garden skills though so it may all end in tears!) good thinking on the Lambs lettuce aswell!
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. It must be doubley confusing for you, having to translate to English from the american versions and then again for where you are now!
Thanks again :D
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:23 am

No worries! Fingers crossed it'll turn out well :D took maybe 5 days to see the saplings come through. Admitably started growing the herbs over winter (despite what the packaging suggests.. oops) and seems to be doing fine; though a bit spindly from mediocre sunlight. Still learning the best method! Even now; seeing suggestions of adding limestone in the soil to help in the plants absorbing more calcium (and better for our scaley friends, apparently!). Haha yep, it's never ending learning for us all ^__^
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lifesagame » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:21 am

I know a few people on other message boards have recommended those mixed salad bags, just check for spinach in them, but there are some with lambs lettuce and various leaves that I used to get for my beardie that I think would be ok too. We found one I think would be a good mix in Asda I think, maybe Tesco, sold as a hot mix with cress and rocket in it. I used to get those little clear plastic boxes of watercress. My beardie wasn’t a fan of eating them but ending up laying on them after a bite or two :lol: but I think they’d work for a BTS, they keep growing well on a windowsill too.

I have a few packs of beardie leaf seed mix, I’m going to give them a go and see if they work as well as they did last time as they’re so easy to grow and you have dandelion and all sorts in there. You just chop off what you need and leave them on the windowsill to keep growing.

I’ll keep looking round though and see if I can find any good mixes :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”