Snacks/treats

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Snacks/treats

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:04 pm

Is there anything that I could give my blue tongue skunk as a snack? Or treat? Can I give him honey or some other stuff ?
Whnthsungoesdwn
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Snacks/treats

Postby Whnthsungoesdwn » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:13 pm

Mine really enjoys the canned bugs like snails or crickets as a treat/snack and blueberries!
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:09 pm

Whnthsungoesdwn wrote:Mine really enjoys the canned bugs like snails or crickets as a treat/snack and blueberries!

I'll note that. Thanks! :D
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:38 pm

Hi, I don't know about giving honey, but for treats I like giving a piece of fruit (grape, blueberry, banana, mango, raspberry, and strawberry). They also scrambled egg or raw egg. Hornworms, roaches, or superworms. Snails. Hope that helps.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:15 am

Bananas and hard boiled eggs are like candy to them. Want to have a fun playtime with food? Crack a hard boiled egg and put your skink in a container with it. Have your camera ready. And yes, those canned snails always make a hit. I breed my own rodents, and a pinkie is never refused. Superworms and Dubia roaches, too. Weekend treats, and to get everyone started after brumation, and to get picky ones back on track. Mine do not seem to care about fruits, with the exception of blueberries, and of course, banana. Believe it or not, one of mine goes nuts for peas!
Whnthsungoesdwn
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Whnthsungoesdwn » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:44 am

I second the pinkies! My guy gets the leftover pinky if my little snake doesn’t eat that week. Also, quail eggs and rabbit/veggie reptilinks
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:59 am

splashy07 wrote:Bananas and hard boiled eggs are like candy to them. Want to have a fun playtime with food? Crack a hard boiled egg and put your skink in a container with it. Have your camera ready. And yes, those canned snails always make a hit. I breed my own rodents, and a pinkie is never refused. Superworms and Dubia roaches, too. Weekend treats, and to get everyone started after brumation, and to get picky ones back on track. Mine do not seem to care about fruits, with the exception of blueberries, and of course, banana. Believe it or not, one of mine goes nuts for peas!

I'll second slices of banana and egg. (I only give my scrambled or hardboiled egg because with all the free ranging cats and dogs around it's not safe for my pet lizards to go outside on the lawn or garden, if I could I'd let them have whole raw eggs too .... I know people to give their pet skinks whole raw eggs and they love them - but eating the egg is a messy business.)

I buy live cooking snails for my two pet easterns every couple of months as a treat ( a dozen to the punnet and they are big , so they each get a couple in a sitting as treat ).... they make very fast work of them .

Silkworm (large used to be a treat) but I breed my own and have been doing so for 5 years now so they are now a staple (every day insect).

I give superworms as treats to my skinks and dragons , once a week ( the BTs and beardies only get a max of 3 supers at a time ).

Other treats when in season are strawberries, raspberries, blueberries , I tend to share these by hand when I'm having some with the ice-cream, yoghurt , or pavlova.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:01 am

BlueTongueBoris wrote:Is there anything that I could give my blue tongue skunk as a snack? Or treat? Can I give him honey or some other stuff ?

All my gang love honey .... but give it sparingly .
Karbon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Karbon » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:27 pm

My BTS absolutely LOVES bananas.
He practically dives out of his cage to come get it when he sees me bringing him a piece of banana.

He also likes mealworms, but not as much as bananas :P
Happyherper
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Happyherper » Tue May 01, 2018 8:18 am

My bts loves all insects (roaches and hornworms are his favorite) and is always up for some egg, however he loves banana. just for fun i let him eat the banana still in the peel, he almost chocked himself trying to get that banana. now he just gets small chunks but most fruits berries and proteis are loved, most greens are hated.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Blueberries are in season now here in the northeast, everyone loves 'em!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”