How to mount light fittings in a wood enclosure?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

How to mount light fittings in a wood enclosure?

Postby Y33T » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:06 am

So my mum has agreed in getting me larger tanks for my blueys on my birthday but I have a question..

Since the enclosures gonna have the fittings and 75w basking sun lamps included and idk if they’ll be including things to mount the lights. Its not those ceramic fittings you screw into the ceiling, soo how do you mount them???
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: How to mount light fittings in a wood enclosure?

Postby lifesagame » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:07 pm

It all depends on what the fittings that come with it are like. I have two very different ones that came with mine. One has screw on either side to attach to the ceiling, the other doesn't have any and pretty much relies on a hook like thing that holds the wire to the ceiling. You can also get brackets that attach to a dangling one to hold the fixture up or use a dome to focus the light.

The one I used for 9 years for my beardie with no problems relied on holding the wire up and using that alone to attach it to the ceiling. It was the best as far as reliability goes and no problems but it always seemed an odd way of attaching it. I used one of those plastic hook things that you get to hold TV aerials and wires to the wall. No problems and I'm only changing it to a new one of the same thing as the UV had started to disintegrate it.

Not sure if that makes sense, hopefully it did but if not I can take a photo, basically it'll depend on what the light fixtures are like but most I've seen now seem to come with some kind of way to attach it to a ceiling if that's what they're designed for.
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Y33T » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:30 pm

A photo would be nice so I can see the positioning of the hook.
I just wanted to know in case I were unable to get the safety cages with the rings that the fittings go into.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lifesagame » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 am

This is what mine looks like. I haven’t had a BTS in it yet but it worked for my beardie and it gets the right temps for me. The hook is about half way between the front and back and three quarters / two thirds of the way length ways so it’s sort of a foot away from the back and right side. The light does end up about an inch one way from the hook because of the wire bend but it’s easy to alter the height for the bulb to change the basking temp if needed too.

E821364D-40D3-41EE-B712-73ED595004C1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”