Mouth rot treatment

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Happyherper
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Mouth rot treatment

Postby Happyherper » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:16 am

Hi My merauee skink has mouth rot (i think it is pretty small) and his belly scales are not smooth but will catch your fingers if you rub twords the head. Any reccomendations.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Mouth rot treatment

Postby kayla990 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:48 am

Heya, are you able to post some images of your skink and setup? Most issues are from environment factors. Do you know what your daily humidity levels are?
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Y33T » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:57 am

Your substrate is too dry. If you’re using aspen, I suggest switching to a substrate that holds some moisture like eco earth, repti bark, cypress mulch, coco coir or coir peat. Mist the substrate daily until the belly scales no longer catches your fingers. Mouth rot can be caused by a too dry environment as well.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
Happyherper
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Happyherper » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:31 am

Thanks he is on repti bark, and eco earth. He does get a daily misting with purified water, but his cage may be getting dry (my hygrometer broke)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”