Runny Poop

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Runny Poop

Postby BlueBella » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:49 pm

New problems! (Sorry I post so much it's like everything is happening at once) Ok so over the last week Deckard's poop has been getting runnier and runnier. At first I thought it was stress from the vet visit, or being kept in a tub while I cleaned the viv out, or that he's stressed because he can't burrow in aspen at night (its his favorite thing to do, but he can't since he's on paper towels because of mites) Well its gone on now for a week and now I'm worried. The reason I didn't get a vet visit right away is because he was literally just at the vet a week ago and got a fecal test (it was completely normal) He had a bit of a runny poop at the vets office too. But I think I know what the issue is. I stupidly didn't know that you can only keep canned dog food refrigerated for a week. I had kept the same food for a little over a week (it was in a sealed container). Totally my fault, I feel terrible. I fed him the bad food twice, could that be what's upsetting him? The only thing that makes me wonder if it is not the food is the fact that they occasionally eat carrion in the wild, and that I fed him the bad food over a week ago and have fed him good food since then. Shouldn't it have worked its way out of his system if it is the food?
1.0 Northern Blue Tongue Skink—Deckard
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy
0.2 Guinea Pigs—Pumpkin and Potato
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Runny Poop

Postby BlueBella » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:21 pm

I would also like to add that the vet gave an antibiotic and steroid injection, and at first that's what I thought was making him a little sick because sometimes when we take antibiotics there's side effects like diarrhea. But that was over a week ago. Been doing a little bit more research and read red meat can sometimes make their poop runny? I've been feeding Merricks dog food with venison and added veggies and greens, so maybe that's whats causing it?
1.0 Northern Blue Tongue Skink—Deckard
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy
0.2 Guinea Pigs—Pumpkin and Potato
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Runny Poop

Postby Yeshika » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:33 pm

It could very easily be the dog food! Just a few weeks ago I accidentally fed off food, and we had runny poops a couple of days later, then it stopped completely.
Keep an eye on him, it might just come right in a day or so.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”