When living in tropical countries?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Cryoxin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

When living in tropical countries?

Postby Cryoxin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:02 pm

Hi Guys,

This is my first post, i am expecting to get my first BTS next week, and I am currently preparing my tank set-up for her. I just need some advice regarding having a warm and cool side in the tank.
Issue: I live in the Philippines, where the normal temperature during the day is already the 85-95 F, given that this is the recommended temp for the warm side of tank, do i still need a basking light?
I do still intend to use a UVB light so that my skink will get D3, but i am just concerned that 1) buying a basking light will end up being both a danger to my skink and be a waste of money.

Thanks in advance for your replies and suggestions
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: When living in tropical countries?

Postby Y33T » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:15 am

Still get a basking light anyway. Just turn it off at the hottest part of the day. In Australia it gets up to 35-40’C (95-104’F) during spring and summer and my blueys have 100w heat lamps running all day, if the thermometers reads somewhere above 45’C or the glass of the tank feels very warm, I turn them off.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:26 am

I concur, if you live in a tropical or even a subtropical region, take into account the climatic / seasonal changes .

Unless you plan to house your skinks in a large outdoor pit or cage of some kind, then you still need to provide a basking globe and a suitable UV source, if your skink will have access to natural direct sun light the basking globe and UV source can dispensed with but be sure to provide a shaded area that is not going to be flooded when it rains and so the skink can retire to the shade when it feels the need.

Be mindful of your's skinks environmentals needs , these may well be very different to climate where you are.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:31 am

Y33T wrote:Still get a basking light anyway. Just turn it off at the hottest part of the day. In Australia it gets up to 35-40’C (95-104’F) during spring and summer and my blueys have 100w heat lamps running all day, if the thermometers reads somewhere above 45’C or the glass of the tank feels very warm, I turn them off.

It is worth while having the option to automatically turn off the basking globe when the temperature in the viv exceeds the maximum temperature for the skink or if it's going to be hot, simply leave the basking globe turned off entirely for the duration of the heatwave, better off being a little cooler than needed during cooler parts of the day than heat stressing the skink.
Cryoxin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Cryoxin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:20 pm

Got both lights, thanks for the replies guys
jreignltp
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby jreignltp » Tue May 01, 2018 12:42 pm

Were you getting an Indo species or Aussie? What is the average humidity out in PH? I've been thinking of one day retiring out there(hopefully before my 6-month old Halmahera turns 20 lol). Never been to PH but I still have a lot of family out there.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”