Sudden unexplained death

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Sudden unexplained death

Postby splashy07 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:48 am

Well. it's Friday the 13th and did not expect the day to pass without at least one incident of bad news. A friend just called me hysterical that her three year old Northern died suddenly. No previous health issues. Was breeding with one of my males about a month ago, and absolutely no violence. (The entire event supervised) Absolutely no indication of anything wrong whatsoever, and my friend is an experienced reptile keeper like myself. She just went to check on her and she was gone. Similar issue anyone? I have read of this happening, but not recently. Her cousin is a vet and she is currently inquiring about a necropsy.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Re: Sudden unexplained death

Postby Suzle87 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:15 pm

That’s awful, so so sorry to hear.
I hope you and your friend are okay, please let us know when you find out why this happened.
Really worrying to hear things like this. :(
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:15 pm

I am very sorry for your friends Northern. Never easy losing one. Let us know what the vet says.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:54 am

Awww that's so sad to hear about your friends Northern.. I had heard of sudden deaths of a similar kind - no prior health issues or behaviour changes other than slight bloating - to then pass away the following day. One particular case stands in mind of a monitor lizard called Pazuzu (from online posts/youtube) whose sudden death was caused from ovarian tissue/reproductive failure. I wonder what the vets will find in this case :/
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:52 am

Hearing so much bad news with friends and pets lately it's making me afraid to look in my own cages. The poor girl would have been four this year, and unfortunately my friends cousin said he was unable to do the necropsy (personally I think he just didn't want to, he's a dog and cat guy and doesn't have much to say about reptiles that is worth anything). He also blew her off when she was having issues with her bearded dragon. So we will never know, this one was purchased at an expo as a juvenile in 2014, so there's no breeder to contact. I'm still in shock here, and my friend is an absolute mess. Here is Sara one week ago. May she rest in peace.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:58 pm

This is so sad. Hate not knowing what happened. Sending hugs
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:41 pm

Thanks, Janella. I'll send my friend your regards. I still can't comprehend this. My friend (her name is Estrellita) talked me into buying this one at a local reptile expo. I kept her for two years until Estrellita succeeded in talking me out of her, so I gave Sara to her. She already had another female (one produced by me) and we were looking for a male for her. We bred my male to Sara, (but not the other female as she was his brother) and all was looking good. I then sold my male to look for one unrelated to both for next year. She was so excited becoming a breeder and now I feel like crap for giving Sara to her in the first place. I feel like I caused my best friend this heartache. Especially with assurances that these things will outlive us! Well, we live and learn, don't we? Never again will I purchase anything without lineage, regardless of price. I'm going to do my best to make up for this, but the healing must begin first. Hopefully I'll have a successful season and I'll send her home with pick of the litter. Babies have a way of making you smile regardless of what you are feeling.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:46 pm

You know you can't blame yourself. The whole thing is just bizarre and unfortunately we will never know what happened. I am sure she will appreciate a new baby. They do have ways of melting your heart. I am send my condolences and hugs
Angel_BTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Angel_BTS » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:40 am

Please tell your friend that I am thinking of her during this tough time. Losing a pet is never easy, especially when it is an unexplained death.
I hope that both you and your friend are ok.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:12 am

Thank you all for your condolences. I will pass them on.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”