Looking for General Advice

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Bluezip
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Looking for General Advice

Postby Bluezip » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:24 pm

Hello! I've been thinking about owning a skink and researching for a little under two years now, and I've finally decided to take the plunge and buy a bluey of my very own! While doing some research and trying to get all my supplies together, I've found that I have a couple general questions about a few things.

So, here we go:
- I'm having some trouble finding a well constructed 48" by 24" vivarium with doors on the front of the cage for sale on the internet, or in any local areas. Does anybody know a good source, of if a cage with front-oriented doors is even accessible at all at such a size? Would a 36" by 24" vivarium do the trick instead, or is that a bit too small?
- This one is really only relevant to folks living in the US: is there a way to reliably get Omni Gold, or some other type of food formulated specifically for skinks in the US? I know it's mainly a European thing. I'd just feel better feeding that than dog food, since from what I've read, it seems like formulated foods are easier to use and more reliably prevent diet deficiencies.
- As I've been looking, I've been falling in love with the T+ Caramel northern morphs... Does anyone know of a good breeder of this type of skink?
- Are there any other pieces of advice you'd recommend for a first-time skink owner?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”