Am I doing something wrong?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Hamish
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Am I doing something wrong?

Postby Hamish » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:39 pm

Hi guys,
My blue tongue is three months old. He had mites about a month ago which I managed to eradicate. He was doing fine for a while but I have just noticed, you guessed it- miles. The first time I thought that they came from where I got him but this Time I don’t know because o thought I got rid of that wave completely. I’ve seen in places that improper husbandry can cause mites, is this true? If so, I am going to put my husbandry below, if you see something I am doing wrong pleases inform me kindly:
He is an eastern blue tongue.
He is in a 3ft tank
He has a cypress mulch bedding
He is fed every second day
He has fresh water at all times
He has a basking spot at 30 degrees Celsius
He has a cool end in the low 20s
His food is supplemented with a calcium supplement 2 out of 3 times that I feed him.

Please help. If there is anything you would like to know please ask me.

Thankyou,

Hamish
Karbon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Am I doing something wrong?

Postby Karbon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:08 pm

If mites keep coming in, chances are they're in the cypress mulch.

I would clean the entire cage and get some reptile safe mite spray and use paper towel bedding until you don't see any more mites.

When you do put new bedding in, I would make sure to bake it in the oven at a SAFE temperature that'll kill the mites if there are any.
Of course not too hot. 200•F for 20-30 minutes should do it.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”