Swollen Ear

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Swollen Ear

Postby BlueBella » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:49 am

:helpme: Everything is going downhill here. Last night I gave Deckard a soak in shallow water, and right as I put him in he immediately dipped his head under the water including his ears. I didn't think anything of it at first as he acted normal afterwards, but this morning when I looked at him one of his ears is swollen like its not a hole anymore. It is also sort of reddish/inflammed. The other ear looks normal and I'm worried this is a serious issue. Could it be from possibly getting water in his ears or just an ear infection? Plan on taking him to the exotics vet tomorrow afternoon. Sorry for all questions and posts lately I'm just really worried.
1.0 Northern Blue Tongue Skink—Deckard
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy
0.2 Guinea Pigs—Pumpkin and Potato
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Swollen Ear

Postby Janella » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:49 pm

How's your baby doing? Vet visit yet?
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueBella » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:25 pm

No vet visit yet, no vets near me were open on a Sunday. He will be going to the vet for sure tomorrow, so hopefully he'll be ok until then. He seems to be acting fine, basking, begging for treats, normal poop, but his ear is still weird and swollen so I'm pretty sure it's an infection. There has been no signs of pus or anything coming out of it, but it's definitely not normal. This and discovering he has mites all at the same time has made quite the stressful weekend. Hopefully the vet can give him some medicine and it's nothing too serious.
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:17 pm

I read the date of your post wrong, didn't realize it was today. Thought it was yesterday. Anyway, it does sound like an infection. Poor thing going through so much at once. At least he is acting normal. That's good. Let me know how the vet visit goes. Prayers all goes well.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:49 pm

Ear infections like that are extremely painful .... I had one once - sooner the vet relieves the pressure and gets some antibiotics into it the better .
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueBella » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:24 pm

Went to the vet. Things aren't looking good. The mites are what caused his ear to swell up like that, they are all in his ears. The vet said the swelling may go down or it might stay forever as scar tissue and that his hearing would be forever damaged. The vet gave him a bath in a special oil, and cleaned out his ears. He gave me antibiotics to put in his ears every night. Said there was a 50-50 chance of him living because it's so bad and may be infected. :cry: I'm doing all I can the mite spray is still not here, so I can't clean out the viv or spray him. Praying he will get through this. Will keep you guys updated.
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Omg, that is just awful. I am so sorry to read this. I am praying your baby pulls through. What kind of mite spray you waiting for? Did your vet recommend anything? Did you remove all his substrate? If these were already answered I apologise.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:18 pm

BlueBella wrote:Went to the vet. Things aren't looking good. The mites are what caused his ear to swell up like that, they are all in his ears. The vet said the swelling may go down or it might stay forever as scar tissue and that his hearing would be forever damaged. The vet gave him a bath in a special oil, and cleaned out his ears. He gave me antibiotics to put in his ears every night. Said there was a 50-50 chance of him living because it's so bad and may be infected. :cry: I'm doing all I can the mite spray is still not here, so I can't clean out the viv or spray him. Praying he will get through this. Will keep you guys updated.

I just wanted to say my heart goes out to you, this is such a horrible situation for you and your BTS, I really hope for a positive outcome for you.
I have had some experience myself with mites, I used callington spray, which *touch wood* seems to have worked, it is also suggested you use it around the viv on carpet etc each day for a week or 2 to stop any of the evil little buggers from laying eggs near by and then migrating back.
It sounds like you’ve done all the right things with taking to the vet etc, hopefully the spray will arrive soon as waiting in these kind of situations can make you feel awful.
I really hope things get better, please do let us know when you get chance how things are going.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:12 pm

BlueBella wrote:Went to the vet. Things aren't looking good. The mites are what caused his ear to swell up like that, they are all in his ears. The vet said the swelling may go down or it might stay forever as scar tissue and that his hearing would be forever damaged. The vet gave him a bath in a special oil, and cleaned out his ears. He gave me antibiotics to put in his ears every night. Said there was a 50-50 chance of him living because it's so bad and may be infected. :cry: I'm doing all I can the mite spray is still not here, so I can't clean out the viv or spray him. Praying he will get through this. Will keep you guys updated.

Oh .... poor boy .... he must be feeling absolutely miserable ....

When I had my inner ear infection the doctor punctured the ear drum (on purpose to allow the puss out) and made a "wick soaked in antibiotics" to go into my ear. This might be an option of sorts to help get the oil and meds into your boy's ear/s.

I'd move him into a tote/tub until you can get the mite killing stuff and can thoroughly clean out ihis viv and sterilize it. I'd line the tub with paper sheets and simply replace them every day until the mites issue is eliminated ,so any mobile mites will simply go into the rubbish in a bag every day rather than getting a chance to lay eggs and perpetuate the nasty cycle.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:14 pm

So sorry to hear!! Will be keeping fingers crossed :( Had no idea that mites could cause ear swelling.. I really hope the antibiotics will help out. Did they give further advice for bathing; such as if you should also try bathing with the special oil they used? Hope the spray arriving tomorrow will help out!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:33 am

Was going to say exactly what King said about transferring him to a tub or bin while you totally disinfect his cage and surrounding area. Very simple set up with light, hide and paper towels. Keeping him in a mite infested enclosure will do him no good at all. They just don't stay on their host, pregnant female mites wander and lay eggs in warm damp areas in and outside the cage. They are truly the nemesis of reptile keepers, and the reason I no longer take in rescues or buy from pet shops.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:37 am

splashy07 wrote:Was going to say exactly what King said about transferring him to a tub or bin while you totally disinfect his cage and surrounding area. Very simple set up with light, hide and paper towels. Keeping him in a mite infested enclosure will do him no good at all. They just don't stay on their host, pregnant female mites wander and lay eggs in warm damp areas in and outside the cage. They are truly the nemesis of reptile keepers, and the reason I no longer take in rescues or buy from pet shops.

Also having him in a very dry environment while treating his mite infestation wont harm him but make life very hard for the mites.

A plastic tub is extremely easy to delouse while an enclosure full of substrate and furniture is near impossible to delouse while it's still occupied by your skink.

This might help http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Snake-C ... parasites/
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueBella » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:18 pm

The spray has arrived!!!!!!! I wiped Deckard down with Frontline and gave him his ear drops, and am currently washing and disinfecting the viv. I am baking his wooden hide and dishwashing and disinfecting the others. Finally things are getting under control. Will be putting him on paper towels for the next few weeks. Also I heard that you should remove the water bowl for 24 hours after using Frontline just in case he sits in it and drinks it, should I do this? 24 hours just seems like a long time without water.
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:14 pm

BlueBella wrote:The spray has arrived!!!!!!! I wiped Deckard down with Frontline and gave him his ear drops, and am currently washing and disinfecting the viv. I am baking his wooden hide and dishwashing and disinfecting the others. Finally things are getting under control. Will be putting him on paper towels for the next few weeks. Also I heard that you should remove the water bowl for 24 hours after using Frontline just in case he sits in it and drinks it, should I do this? 24 hours just seems like a long time without water.

Both treatments of callington I had to leave Ventress with no water for 24hours and he was absolutely fine, so yes I’d do it to be on the safe side. Don’t like the idea of them soaking off the chemicals then drinking them, whereas I think they can happily go a fair while without water if needs be.
Really glad to hear things are on the up for you. You’ll have it all under control in no time I’m sure.
Thanks for the update
Happyherper
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Happyherper » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:28 pm

Any updates
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueBella » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:15 pm

Update: Gave second treatment of frontline, seen no mites whatsoever, none on his stuff, or in his ears so thats good. The ear was bloody for the first few days after the vet visit and when I cleaned the cage, but it has scabbed over in some parts and seems to be getting progressively better. I don't think it will ever be truly normal ever again, but I don't know for sure, it does definitely look much better.
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:25 pm

Glad to hear he is doing much better. Good news. Try appling Vitamin E, or honey to the ear to see if it will help heal it. Just a small amount.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”