Skink got bruised?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Meowmeowers
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Skink got bruised?

Postby Meowmeowers » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:33 pm

So today I had my skink out on my desk and she tries to get in between my monitor and desk(like an inch and a half of space) but can't fit, she gets about half her head under, I pick her up and her head scales are like this? At first I thought she had scraped paint or something onto her scales but there's nothing on the monitor, can scales 'bruise' like this? Should I be worried? She seems fine but does this need a vet?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Skink got bruised?

Postby kayla990 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:56 am

Do you know if the marks were there before you got her out? I've also been wondering if they can bruises, but would presume it would be darker instead of the red colour. Is there anything in the food of this same colour that she could have rubbed against? While just guessing, it seems more likely to be food stains (maybe try get a damp cotton bud and try to rub it off gently).

All the best!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Meowmeowers
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Meowmeowers » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:09 am

She didn't have any marks on her before she tried to get under the monitor, I thought that too but it does not rub off and nothing she ate/in her enclosure is red. Thanks.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:48 am

Ahh doh..! Hmm, then you could be right with your suspicions of a bruise. Wish I could help out, hope someone will know more!

In general I would keep a close watch of the marks. If it does begin to spread around more, then I would advise a vet check; in case it is bleeding under the scales.

Keep us updated!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:11 am

She'll probably be Ok. My observation has been skinks are devils at forcing their way under heavy objects and trying move heavy items about like little four legged bulldozers. So it's not surprising that the can cause this kind of injuries to themselves.

If you are worried about the damaged scaled / abrasions , apply some betadiene and or manuka honey to the injuries , these will help prevent them from becoming infected.
underlashes
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby underlashes » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:54 pm

Keep an eye on it, but my skink has done almost the exact same thing to himself when he tried to lift his heavy water dish :doh:
The bruising gradually got duller and eventually went away with his next shed
Meowmeowers
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Meowmeowers » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks so much for the help! She is just like a little bulldozer lol it already looks a bit better but ill make sure to keep an eye on it

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”