Skink looked like she was gagging

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Taliats
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Skink looked like she was gagging

Postby Taliats » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:02 pm

So my skink started making a motion as if she was about to throw up in the middle of the night. When I went to check on her, she was huffing at me but it sounded like she was struggling to do it.

I have taken her out to check on her and she is moving around fine, although there is a slight clicking in her breathing. I have checked her mouth and eyes and cannot see any discharge and seems to be in good health, but I am still concerned about her and would like some advice as to what it could possibly be.
Whnthsungoesdwn
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Skink looked like she was gagging

Postby Whnthsungoesdwn » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:01 am

How is she doing today?
Taliats
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Taliats » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:07 am

Whnthsungoesdwn wrote:How is she doing today?

She seems fine, she is sitting staring at me with her usual smug look.

The clicking is still there in her breathing though.
Whnthsungoesdwn
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Whnthsungoesdwn » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:15 am

Hmmm. May need a vet appointment. Idk if it’s possible in skink anatomy to aspirate if she was actually vomiting? Hopefully some more experienced members will weigh in!
Taliats
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Taliats » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:09 am

Nothing came out of her mouth if that is what you mean.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:55 am

The only time I've observed that sort of behavior is when they eat too much at once, and do that immediately after. I think I'd have it checked if it happened out of nowhere.
Emmadrewrox
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Emmadrewrox » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:27 pm

This is exactly what has been happening with my skink except for the huffing. It has gone on a while now but no discharge on mouth or eyes. The gagging part only happened a couple of times. I also heard wheezing sometimes. I brought my skink to the vet a few days ago and she wasn’t doing either sound but I showed him a video of it. He said because there are no other RI symptoms and she seems healthy that no meds were needed and to just keep an eye on her. I’m not saying don’t go to the vet though I just figured you might like to know you are not alone in having this issue. :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”