Curly Tail?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Curly Tail?

Postby BlueBella » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:09 pm

So I recently picked up a 10 month old male (they said he looked like a male) northern blue tongue which I named Deckard, from a reptile expo. The breeder seemed very trustworthy and all the animals looked healthy including the skink I bought. I didn't notice it before but he has a really weird looking tail. I have searched everywhere before posting this, but his tail doesn't look like anything else. Its curled at the end. I'm a little concerned because I couldn't find anything like it and was wondering if it is possibly a birth defect or just an accident while shedding or maybe MBD although from pictures I have seen it doesn't look like MBD at all and he looks fine and has no other weird looking areas. Does anybody know what this is from or has ever seen it before?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1.0 Northern Blue Tongue Skink—Deckard
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy
0.2 Guinea Pigs—Pumpkin and Potato
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Curly Tail?

Postby kayla990 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:27 am

Ahh first time seeing something like that for a Bluey but I would presume it's from damage to the tail (for example if he was kept in a small container then had pressure on the tail for a long time, it could cause such a curl). They can also curl their tail slightly when they want to (as we've seen ours use his tail as a 'hook' when climbing down things) although it seems pretty far curled in your picture; and I'm guessing it is like this all the time? Hard to say for now if it'll go back to normal, or if it could be a birth defect as you say.

Overall, shouldn't be a problem if he walks around without irritation :)
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:58 am

Aww, that looks so cute! I've got one with a slightly wavy tail he was born with. Doesn't look like cause for concern. Now lets see the rest of that little cutie!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:26 pm

Look, here's mine. He was born like that (born here so I know that). His dad has too, but more towards the end. May have something to do with the positioning in mom during development. I'm sure no cause for worry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueBella » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:32 pm

Ok thank you guys for the replies, I'm relieved it's no cause for concern. It is very cute and doesn't seem to bother him at all thankfully. Here is another picture of him when we first put him in his tank. :D
1.0 Northern Blue Tongue Skink—Deckard
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy
0.2 Guinea Pigs—Pumpkin and Potato

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”