Am I a bad skink owner?????

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BerryBlueKisses
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Am I a bad skink owner?????

Postby BerryBlueKisses » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:43 pm

I've had my Bluey for around 3 months. I've done so much research I sometimes start writing about lizards instead of school work. I got him from the reptile expo from a breeder (who I trusted at first, now not so much) He was perfectly happy and healthy until last week. Things went spiralling downward. I noticed he had what looked like mouth rot, so I gave him baths everyday. Then he started having wet sneezes and open mouthed breathing. I was already looking for a vet and had an appointment scheduled but it got canceled bc of weather. I'm taking him in tomorrow but he looks horrible. I can't even describe it. I feel awful for him and I've been worried sick all week. I don't want anyone to think I'm abusing him, he has a really nice tank with all the stuff and correct temps. I USED to feed him dog food (wet) but stopped after I noticed his mouth. I feel horrible and don't want him to suffer!!! :sad3: :sad3:
xXxBORISxXx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Am I a bad skink owner?????

Postby xXxBORISxXx » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:10 pm

Hey, don't be so hard on yourself. Based on what you wrote on your post you seem to be an very attentive owner that is really concerned about providing the best possible care for your little guy. That's really all you can do! As long as you are doing your best to research and provide for your skink you aren't a bad owner.
I wonder if the humidity is too low in his tank? That could account for some of the symptoms you've listed. What breed of skink do you have, and if so, do you have a hygrometer to measure humidity?
I have a Nothern Blue Tongue myself, and even though that species doesn't require a very high humidity (35-50% is recommended for Notherns), I still have to mist his tank once or twice a day, because I live in a very dry area.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:18 am

Seconding what Boris is saying! Would you be able to post an image for ID purposes? We find that many sellers give wrong information. I'm also suspecting humidity issues as mentioned, as that seems to be one of the main factors for sickness.
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:53 am

As stated above sounds like humidity issues. Your 'breeder' more than likely sold you an imported Indonesian species and told you it was something else, or gave you improper instructions on care. Common occurrence at reptile expos. Please post a picture so we can try to help you and your skink.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”