Handling my blue tongue.

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Classy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Handling my blue tongue.

Postby Classy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:32 am

Hi! My blue tongue skink is about 7 months old now. I bought him back in December and let him get used to his tank and his surroundings. He isn't scared when I walk close to the tank and seems pretty comfortable. I really want to start holding him, but I want to make sure I don't scare him. So, do you have any tips before I start holding him? Like hand feeding, etc. Thank you!
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Handling my blue tongue.

Postby kayla990 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:40 pm

Great to hear he's not scared when you're close to the tank ^__^ I can't see any reason why you shouldn't start handling. I'll mention a few methods we used for ours (who was around 2 months old when we first started). This may be going too much into it, but here we go..

Initially we used the approach of hand feeding to get him used to us interacting with us (used feeding tongs for the first weeks, then switched to fingers - since he was so little at the time, I didn't mind if I was bitten - but he ended up being very gentle!). Then we would place our hands in the tank, just nearby - not doing anything in particular - to give him an opportunity to either investigate or to back away (if he did back away then we wouldn't go closer but just keep the hand there for a few more minutes).

Once we got to a point where we felt he was comfortable enough with us being there - then we tried a mixture of 'scooping' and 'tough love'. The first was to try to gently scoop underneath him (you can even dig your hand under the soil, as they may resist less if they don't know the plan) and once the body is supported, lift up similar to small mammals. You can also see if you can entice him onto your hand with treats, then lift up in a similar way. Depends how slow you want to take it. Once being touched they may get huffy, but it will be quite normal to start with.

In some cases 'tough love' works, just going in confidently to try scoop him up :) Ideally, make sure he knows you're there first and try to pick up from the side or underneath, as being grabbed from above may give them a flight response (such as in a 'claw' like way). The main thing is if he decides to resist or huff, make sure you don't suddenly pull your hand back - as this can make them jump or feel uneasy (which I know can be tricky if you think they may bite/do fake bites.. if it's looking like they may get truly aggressive, then you can use gloves for the first few times - or maneuver them with a soft item; such as a rubber kitchen spatula into a better position for picking up).

Use short handling sessions the first few times and where ever you take them to make sure it's a secure area (so no small areas he could dart under like cupboards; and you can optionally provide a blanket so he can hide under it for security).

I don't think you should have a problem :D I think most of the time people just go in and pick them up, with hopes of not being bitten! Bluey's seem to be pretty relaxed once they are used to it. All the best!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:49 pm

Couldn't agree more. Good answer :-)
K4p1nkrunch
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby K4p1nkrunch » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:42 am

I like putting my hand in viv about a foot away, giving a little wave for attention then slowly move closer once he sees me. Give a little pet and proceed with the advice above. Ive only been accidentally bitten while hand feeding, so i dont hand feed anymore. Hes gentle about it but they can put a good bite down as i understand snails are a favorite and shells need crunching. Huffing is hilarious to me now but was quite intimidating initially
Good travels
Taliats
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Taliats » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:44 am

K4p1nkrunch wrote: Huffing is hilarious to me now but was quite intimidating initially

That reminds me of my Skink. I used to be intimidated by her doing that tongue roll that they do but now I just laugh in her face and pick her up anyway.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:28 am

I just reach right in and pick them up. All the fussing could make them more nervous.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”