light keeps burning out

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

light keeps burning out

Postby Y33T » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:26 pm

i just bought a new globe recently after the last one burned out over a month ago and now this one burned out. the fixture is an exo terra medium dome (the one that glows in the dark) and the two globes were exo terra 100w intense basking lights. i tried my best not to bash the lamps so much, my other lamp had seen better days but its still going for nearly a year. it could be either the fixture is faulty or the air conditioner blowing directly at it. what do you guys/gals think?
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: light keeps burning out

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:24 am

I'd change brands on the CHE, but get a sparky to check the fitting first as the fitting may well be dicky.

Not good value using reptile specific brand basking globes (especially those very cheap Neodynium UVA basking globes , especially those pieces !!!!!!! sold under the Natural Selections , Reptile One brand names) .... from what I've seen they are FRAGILE and don't last long and are made in china so very dodgey.

I'd use a GE or Philips or Eveready halogen or incandescent par38 spotty as the basking globe. Very much cheaper and can stand indoor and outdoor use so should be OK in a humid viv.
Karbon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Karbon » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:08 pm

I had the same issue, till I switched out the 100W light for a 60W light.

I found that I'm actually getting the same temps with the 60 as I was with the 100 but the 60 isn't burning out.
Mostly because the enclosure I'm using isn't tall so the heat doesn't need to go down very far from the light.

Might want to try a 60W and see if that helps and keeps the same temps you want for your BTS.
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Y33T » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:09 am

i'll try, i'll probs borrow my other bluey's digital thermometer since i don't have an extra one yet.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:37 am

Y33T wrote:i'll try, i'll probs borrow my other bluey's digital thermometer since i don't have an extra one yet.

I recommend you visit Ebay and buy a bunch of these - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-LCD-Digi ... SwLqFV9CcS , I have 3 in each beardie , BTS tank and the water skinks tub.
Whnthsungoesdwn
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Whnthsungoesdwn » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:04 am

I have found that the oils from our skin seem to burn the bulbs out faster. Whenever I handle a bulb I do so with a cloth or my sleeve, so my skin never actually touches he bulb.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:55 am

Very true about the skin oils. I run the warranty department for an auto parts distributor and the expensive bulbs we sell you are not supposed to touch, constantly coming back defective because idiots don't read instructions. Warnings of early failure from handling should be printed on all sensitive lighting. If you are looking into MVBs the only one I have ever had success with is the Powersun. Expensive but lasts two years! There are many cheaper versions but all seem to blow out within a few months, so the higher price tag is well worth it. Another type of early bulb failure results from overheating of the bulb due to an insufficiently ventilated lamp dome. Some cheap versions do not have the ventilation holes. Make sure the socket is the ceramic type also able to accommodate high heat for long periods.
jdheff1982
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Your Facebook name: John D. Heffington

Postby jdheff1982 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:13 pm

I quit using basking bulbs altogether. Too expensive to keep replacing. Instead, I use a CHE for heat and LED bulbs for lighting. Cuts down on the electrical cost, too. Might be something to consider.
Northern BTS Rosco born 6/27/2013 acquired 10/1/2013 -> My Gallery:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”