Weird noise when breathing?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Angel_BTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Weird noise when breathing?

Postby Angel_BTS » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:52 am

Hi :) I’ve noticed that Bindi makes a sort of clicking noise when she breathes in and out (I’m not sure how else to describe the sound). She’s done it ever since I got her and I was wondering if anyone else’s skinks do this?
Tokkay
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Weird noise when breathing?

Postby Tokkay » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:13 pm

Clicking when breathing is sometimes a sign of a respiratory infection.

Does she breathe with her mouth open often/is that when you're hearing the noise? How long has it been going on?
Angel_BTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Angel_BTS » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:56 am

Tokkay wrote:Clicking when breathing is sometimes a sign of a respiratory infection.

Does she breathe with her mouth open often/is that when you're hearing the noise? How long has it been going on?

Thank you for replying :) she breathes with her mouth closed, and I’ve noticed the clicking sound ever since I got her (1 month ago) I am taking her to a reptile vet this Saturday, so that she can get a general checkup. I am really hoping that she is healthy.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:24 am

Good to hear you'll be taking her to a rep vet (always nice to get confirmation from a professional). While clicking is generally associated with respiratory infection, other noises don't always relate to it. I put up a video of ours making odd noises which are seemingly normal for Bluey's (i'll link the post below), maybe it can help to get an idea of them making odd sounds!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30827&p=484966#p484966

All the best for Saturday :D
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Angel_BTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Angel_BTS » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:56 am

kayla990 wrote:Good to hear you'll be taking her to a rep vet (always nice to get confirmation from a professional). While clicking is generally associated with respiratory infection, other noises don't always relate to it. I put up a video of ours making odd noises which are seemingly normal for Bluey's (i'll link the post below), maybe it can help to get an idea of them making odd sounds!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30827&p=484966#p484966

All the best for Saturday :D

I checked out your video (your Bluey is adorable by the way) and Bindi does the same whistling noise when I tank her out of her tank to explore. I’m hoping that the vet gives the all clear tomorrow - I will give an update about how the vet appointment goes tomorrow :)
Angel_BTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Angel_BTS » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:45 pm

Update:
Went to the vet today, and Bindi is perfectly healthy! The vet said that the clicking sound when she breathes could be due to a very minor respiratory infection, as she doesn’t have any discharge from her nose or eyes. I’m very glad that she is alright :)
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:51 am

Glad to hear the update! Great it's not developed into anything serious. Did they give any advice on how to reduce the minor infection/clicking noises, or do they thing it's something that will fix itself with time? Awesome that she's healthy otherwise :D
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Angel_BTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Angel_BTS » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:35 pm

kayla990 wrote:Glad to hear the update! Great it's not developed into anything serious. Did they give any advice on how to reduce the minor infection/clicking noises, or do they thing it's something that will fix itself with time? Awesome that she's healthy otherwise :D

The vet said that it could be the substrate that I am currently using - kritters crumble fine coir. He suggested that I use kitty litter made out of recycled newspaper instead as her bedding, but I’m a little hesitant to switch her substrate as I’m unsure if anyone else uses kitty litter and wether she will benefit from it? :)
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:23 am

I used newspaper pellet kitty litter for years with no issue~

It doesn't hold moisture at all and can make it a little difficult to keep up humidity if your skink needs it however~
Angel_BTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Angel_BTS » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:37 pm

Nae wrote:I used newspaper pellet kitty litter for years with no issue~

It doesn't hold moisture at all and can make it a little difficult to keep up humidity if your skink needs it however~

My concern with the kitty litter is that Bindi likes to burrow in her coconut fibre overnight, and I don’t know if she’ll be able to do that in the cat litter. I’ve just decided for now to keep her on the kritters crumble, and will be making a mixture of leaf litter, coconut coir and kritters crumble once I have all the ingredients!
Thanks again everyone for all your help :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”