Skink suddenly super alert and jumpy.

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Taliats
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Skink suddenly super alert and jumpy.

Postby Taliats » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:31 am

So after weeks of being fine with me around, my Skink is suddenly hyper alert and always fleeing rather fast whenever I am near. Even when I take her out of her viv, she makes every effort to get away from me, she even gave out the loudest huff I have ever heard when I went to feed her earlier. Whenever my hand is even near her, she will jump as if frightened and start to panic.

She is not acting defensive, however, she seems to be more interested in running away than doing threat displays or anything like that. She is also eating fine as she went for the food as soon as i moved away.

What is going on here? is it something to do with the warmer weather? This only started after it started to warm up outside as it jumped from 1C to 12C over the space of 2 days. The viv temps have been consistent, however.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Skink suddenly super alert and jumpy.

Postby splashy07 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:06 am

Changes in the weather outside, believe it or not, could affect your skink's behavior. It does mine, regardless of consistent temps in cages. Seasonal changes, breeding season (varies by location, I am in the Northeast and they just finished up) and, well, their moods, can affect behavior. Better he is alert than lethargic.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:05 am

I’m pretty new to the wonderful world of blue tongue skinks, but I think half the time it all depends what mood they are in.
Half the days Ventress is tapping the glass and staring at me til I get him out, and then the other half he’s a wriggly rogue who just wants to be left alone.
I think it’s just one of those things and hopefully just a bit of a funny phase for yours. Please let us know if this resolves itself, il be interested to hear how you get on.
Taliats
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Taliats » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:40 am

It seems like it was just a phase, probably to do with the change in temperatures as we go into spring, she is her usual mopey self again now.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:23 pm

Taliats wrote:It seems like it was just a phase, probably to do with the change in temperatures as we go into spring, she is her usual mopey self again now.

Really pleased to hear this sorted itself out for you. Thanks for the update :D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”