Toe problems?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
3Blue
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Toe problems?

Postby 3Blue » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:37 pm

Hello! I own three blueys, and all of them seemed to have fine sheds, but recently one of the younger ones got really stuck on his feet. Long story short, he is missing a toe and I would like help. :helpme:
"We laugh at our most painful memories-"
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Toe problems?

Postby kayla990 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:23 pm

Awww sorry to hear! Let's see.. I just saw the pictures you've uploaded, looks like you've got Indonesians but they are being kept on newspaper? How is the humidity? In the meantime you can try a luke-warm soak to help out with the shedding (along with using damp cotton wool buds very gently after a soak). All the best!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
3Blue
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby 3Blue » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:40 am

kayla990 wrote:Awww sorry to hear! Let's see.. I just saw the pictures you've uploaded, looks like you've got Indonesians but they are being kept on newspaper? How is the humidity? In the meantime you can try a luke-warm soak to help out with the shedding (along with using damp cotton wool buds very gently after a soak). All the best!

Thanks for the help! They are actually meruakes I beleive? I was using reptibark but the tiny dust was constantly getting stuck to their mouth, so I decided to put newspaper down instead for awhile. They have a bit higher humidity, around 50. I'll go give him a bath now!
"We laugh at our most painful memories-"
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:08 pm

Hope the bath will help out! And agree looking like meruakes (I'm still working on ID's from above xD but know the pink tone underbelly is a good way to identify). Quite surprised the reptibark was so dusty, although if you wanted to try it again you can pre-wash it with plain water (we either use a big plastic tub or place in a clean bath to rinse with a shower head).

If you're able to raise the humidity in the tank from 50% to 80% for a while that would be great (as I noticed the scales on the face were looking a little cracked/too dry). Though I know it won't be easy to do with newspaper.
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:40 am

Repti-bark is dry unless moistened. Once it is, it holds humidity very well, and if mixed with cypress mulch even better. If you indeed have Meraukes you need to get the humidity to at the very least 70. If you have a screen top I would suggest covering all with foil, just cut a hole for the lamp. That worked well for me back when I used glass terrariums and kept Indo species. Humid hides and large water bowls will help too. They can't tell us when their little toes are constricted so it's best to avoid the situation altogether. Good luck.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”