NPI stackables

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Whnthsungoesdwn
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

NPI stackables

Postby Whnthsungoesdwn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:09 pm

Hey everyone! I was thinking about getting the 4’ NPI stackable Cage for my northern BTS, but I have some concerns. First: it allows for a 6” heat dome which is a max of 100 watts.. do you think that’ll produce enough heat?
Second: i think I can add belly heat if a basking spot isn’t enough.. the bean farm offers a combo for the 48” cages with a Zilla thermostat and an ultratherm heat pad.. does anyone have any experience with these? I’m concerned about fire safety.

Thoughts?
TIA!!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: NPI stackables

Postby splashy07 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:58 am

Those cages hold heat very well, a hundred watt lamp may be more than enough. I use PVC type cages manufactured by Animal Plastics and can heat them with a 25 watt bulb with an internal fixture and a 50 with external. I do not use any other heating methods. The ambient temp in my apartment is 65-70 in winter, and 80+ in summer, at which time I switch over to 7 watt LEDs for the internal fixtures, and temps stay above 90 on their warm ends. Sometimes I even have to turn them off. (I'm one of those freaks that does not like AC). Heating issues are common with glass/screen type cages that lose a lot of heat and humidity. I looked into those Neodesha cages myself, but already had many AP cages, therefore I stuck with them. Just ordered two more yesterday, matter of fact. Send pics when you set up, and would love to see your BTS!
Whnthsungoesdwn
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: NPI stackables

Postby Whnthsungoesdwn » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:05 am

Thanks for your response! That’s comforting to know that 100 Watts May be too much! I can always go down. I don’t have my BTS yet. :( still on the hunt for a subadult or adult northern... or waiting until baby season.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”