Looking for mites

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Whnthsungoesdwn
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Looking for mites

Postby Whnthsungoesdwn » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:44 am

I’ll be (hopefully) picking up a BTS this weekend but I was hoping you guys would be able to share with me how to identify if a skink has mites. I want to try to avoid bringing them home to my other reptiles. So when I’m looking at them, what should I look for? Are there places that they tend to congregate (around eyes, mouth?)?

Thanks so much!
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Looking for mites

Postby Y33T » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:40 pm

lifted scales and moving little black dots.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Looking for mites

Postby splashy07 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:02 am

Bring a damp white paper towel with you. Wipe him down with it. Easiest way to find them. If the shop objects go elsewhere. They're not easy to get rid of once established, and you certainly don't want to bring that home. Even if you do not see any, quarantine the animal away from your other herps and schedule a vet visit, as it is most likely an import. Better safe than sorry later.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”