Skink ATTACKS Food Bowl

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
xXxBORISxXx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Skink ATTACKS Food Bowl

Postby xXxBORISxXx » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:54 am

Hi all!
I was wondering if any other skink owners observe this behaviour.
Whenever I place a bowl of food in front of my skink, no matter what it is, he will start to attack it and aggressively bite the outside parts of the bowl, like, the plastic edges of it.
I assumed this was just because of a predatory instinct. Today when I fed him, he went to attack his food bowl as usual before eating, and bit down REALLY hard on the outside. There was some red residue left on it and I think he could have cut his mouth a bit. Poor guy ):
My question is this:
Does anyone have a suggestion of a biter-safe food dish I could use? No matter how much I try to put his face in the food he will always bite the bowl first, so I think the solution is a new food dish that he can attack without hurting himself.
Thanks!!
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Skink ATTACKS Food Bowl

Postby kayla990 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:54 pm

Hmm I've seen our bluey also bite down on the side of the dish (seemingly accidental, sometimes picking up the dish and moving it) - but sounds like your bluey is doing it more intentionally... I don't have a specific product suggestion for long term use, but in the meantime maybe you could try using disposable paper plates (the type often seen at parties).

I've seen owners use the plain white versions, where they cut the plate into quarters for easy access for the bluey. It would be be much softer if they still decide to bite on it. Though would just need to be careful they can't ingest the plate (or additional substrate), as some plates are more prone to ripping than others.

Hope he didn't hurt his mouth too badly! Though luckily they are pretty sturdy critters :)
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
xXxBORISxXx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby xXxBORISxXx » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks, that's a great suggestion! And affordable as well :)
Yes, it's definitely intentional lol. I can post a video if anyone's interested
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:01 pm

No problem! Feel free to post the video - can't get enough of them and sounds pretty interesting to see :D
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Mine do that too. I'm always afraid they're going to hurt themselves. My big male eastern did it today, as a matter of fact. He just came out of season and I was tempting him with some treats and decided to attack the bowl instead. I had to stick his head in it.
AshleeTheShort
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby AshleeTheShort » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:56 pm

I too had that problem with my bluey and like you feared an injury would result. I looked around and found a small silicon water dish for dogs that doubles as a frisbee (not that that part matters). So far she has not attacked this bowl, but if she attempts to, I feel a bit better about it.

I hope your bluey is okay!
I just realized I have no signature!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”