ID help please

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

ID help please

Postby Suzle87 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:23 am

Hi,
I am going to be picking this guy up on Sunday, I have been told by the seller he is a northern but wanted to double check with you guys (I have looked at so many ID posts on the forum but still can't figure it out!)
Want to make sure I've got his viv spot on humidity wise etc before introducing him. Thanks so much in advance for any help and thanks to everyone on this site for all the contributions, I've learnt ALOT already from you guys and really do appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

[img]
skink.jpg
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Taliats
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: ID help please

Postby Taliats » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:11 pm

From what I know, Northerns have no black at all on their legs.

I am assuming it is an Indonesian variety as it is very similar to my Skink.

Although don't quote me on that, I am new to skinks so somebody with more experience would probably know more.
Last edited by Taliats on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:12 pm

Absolutely not a Northern, but a Merauke or Halamara instead. Sorry at work and can't type long, but that is NOT a Northern
Karbon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Karbon » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:21 pm

Yep - 100% NOT a Northern.

Meruke or Halmahera for sure. Kind of hard to tell which, I lean towards Meruke more, but they both have higher humidity requirements.

60-70% Humidity is perfect for these guys. I have a Hamlahera myself and love the little guy :)
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:47 pm

I thought it wasn’t making sense being so dark but him saying it’s a northern!
Thankyou so much for all your help everyone!
I will now look into these 2 types and then see if I can whittle it down more once I can get a better look at him at home.
Thanks again and any pointers/advice/additional info is very welcome!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:11 pm

Janella wrote:Absolutely not a Northern, but a Merauke or Halamara instead. Sorry at work and can't type long, but that is NOT a Northern

When you are free i’d Really appreciate hearing more on your thoughts on him and what you think he is exactly. Thanks very much for your input
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:04 am

Looks to be Irian Jaya or IJ/Merauke cross. Definitely Gigas. (Indonesian).
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:55 am

splashy07 wrote:Looks to be Irian Jaya or IJ/Merauke cross. Definitely Gigas. (Indonesian).

Hi thanks for that, so all these suggestions require the same humidity of 60-80 is that correct?
Thanks very much for everyone’s input so far
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:46 am

Yes, humidity is the main ingredient for a healthy Indonesian BT. All the best of luck with your new baby! IJs are a big, beautiful species.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:53 am

Hi back and I apologise for my late response. We had a family emergency and I haven't been on. All is well now.
Glad to see some others gave you their ideas on what your skink may be. I knew they would. Definitely humidity is the key with your new skink. Good luck and remember we all are her for you if needed :-)
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:35 am

Janella wrote:Hi back and I apologise for my late response. We had a family emergency and I haven't been on. All is well now.
Glad to see some others gave you their ideas on what your skink may be. I knew they would. Definitely humidity is the key with your new skink. Good luck and remember we all are her for you if needed :-)

Hi Janella, No apology needed! glad to hear all is okay now!
Thanks so much for your help, and you will see me popping up often with my various questions I'm sure... I do like to double check before i do things, so you guys will hopefully not get driven too mad by my incessant questioning!!
Have a great weekend :)
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:29 am

Ask away anytime. We love to hear updates and make sure everyone is taking care of their skink babies properly. Have a great weekend also. :-)
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:28 am

Here are a few more pics of Ventress just to see if now he’s shed and I’ve got him home we can decide definitively what he is (other than a rogue hehe) from bits I’m reading the line makes me think Merauke, but then are there more faint lines? Do they change things? Thanks
29EC322D-7942-4D19-8C06-9F9FCCAFA663.jpeg
B609999E-B629-4331-877E-C3272C411472.jpeg
FA30F235-5259-482E-8D84-C961DB5FC053.jpeg
3A17A915-40BF-493B-B55A-4B80E35ABED9.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:29 am

Ps excuse his viv looking horrible, we will be back to proper substrate and better humidity again by the weekend. Just got to make sure the notes have gone.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:10 pm

Aww he's grown a lot already! I'm still working out how to ID from above only, but maybe you can get an idea by comparing it to ours who is a Halmahera - as far as I'm aware, this is the only type with a lot of black underbelly/tail, and should develop a more pink neck with age (usually the pattern is pure black, but he was starting a new shed, hence the milky tones here!).

DSC_1996b.jpg

DSC_2611e.jpg

However, if there is little black underneath (maybe a few dots around the edges) but still a good amount of pink shades then good chance he's a Meruake (as I can't see the typical the full black legs on Ventress - which common of an Irian Jaya) :D
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:20 pm

kayla990 wrote:Aww he's grown a lot already! I'm still working out how to ID from above only, but maybe you can get an idea by comparing it to ours who is a Halmahera - as far as I'm aware, this is the only type with a lot of black underbelly/tail, and should develop a more pink neck with age (usually the pattern is pure black, but he was starting a new shed, hence the milky tones here!).

DSC_1996b.jpg
DSC_2611e.jpg

However, if there is little black underneath (maybe a few dots around the edges) but still a good amount of pink shades then good chance he's a Meruake (as I can't see the typical the full black legs on Ventress - which common of an Irian Jaya) :D

What a stunner yours is!!!! I will have another nosey at ventress’ belly later and let you know what I think. I did note after his shed that he had a more pinky tone under his neck but will have a better look later on. Thanks very much for getting back to me. And for sharing your pics.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:44 pm

No problem! And aww thanks ^__^ He's a pretty little thing (as is Ventress!), so curious what his colours will be like as an adult. It changes a lot through the shedding process (if you find ventress becomes near silver just before they explode from shedding, another indicator for a Haly!). Can't wait to see what you find :D
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:26 pm

kayla990 wrote:No problem! And aww thanks ^__^ He's a pretty little thing (as is Ventress!), so curious what his colours will be like as an adult. It changes a lot through the shedding process (if you find ventress becomes near silver just before they explode from shedding, another indicator for a Haly!). Can't wait to see what you find :D

Well, it’s taken a long time and it’s an awful picture but I got a belly shot!! Haha
0A0C180C-56E8-4827-BFC3-C82E9A4AA215.jpeg

The lightings a bit dubious but hopefully it helps a bit with id’ing!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”