Are These Axanthic Blueys?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Szereza
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Are These Axanthic Blueys?

Postby Szereza » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:01 am

aaronhouts wrote:Congratulations on Linus!

Sorry about the delayed response.

To answer your questions:

I think that Europe gets everything before we do in the US.

As far as deworming, I always deworm any new animal. The Axanthic Halmaheras are farmed imports so I definitely would. Plus, you can establish a relationship with the vet.

As far as humidity, we don't actually measure it. Some tells to look for that would indicate that the humidity is too low are bubbles around the eyes, problems with toes and issues on the bottom of their feet like redness or sores if you let it go too long.

We also actually get them out every other day, place them in a separate tub and spray them with water for a few minutes straight.

Thank you for the compliments and good luck with Linus. He looks great!
Keep us posted.

It's okay - no need to apologise at all! :D You've been amazingly helpful!

That's a good idea - I will book an appointment with the vet this weekend if they have any space, if not, definitely next weekend!

Oooh, thank you so much for the tip on humidity! I'll keep an eye out for those signs (which I hope they'll never appear) but the spraying them with water sounds good too! Do you use lukewarm water when you spray them? I was thinking of giving Linus a bit of a scrub / bath - he's a wee bit mucky at the moment, haha. ;o
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:02 am

OMG I COULD WATCH THAT ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm at work too, and I miss my critters horribly as soon as I leave in the morning. Especially when I get a new one or have babies, so I know exactly how you feel.

C'mon, Aaron, I know you're reading this..........Make me some of these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Szereza
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Szereza » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:17 pm

Haha, Splashy, you're so excited! I'm so excited! Everyone's excited! I also agree that Aaron should also post gifs of Scout and Lucky too! :D

I came back home to this:

There's still a ton more pieces in the viv so I will have to clean that up in a bit but I think his first shedding (with me) is going smoothly? I don't know though.. I'm a bit scared as I didn't know what to expect exactly - reading and seeing it in person is definitely different! :lol:
aaronhouts
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby aaronhouts » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:46 pm

Ha ha! Hi, everybody!
I love seeing all these Axanthic Halmahera posts!

I don’t think Splashy wants me to make her gifs, i think she meant to make her baby Axanthics! We’re working as fast and as hard as we can, Splashy! I promise! We even have the enclosures to house 12 babies. I don’t see anything happening for about a year though. They usually show signs of breeding interest in November. Plus, Lucky is right about 350 grams. He’s got a little way to go. I’d like to see him at least 500 grams and more would be better. Scout hangs out between 800 and 850 grams.

That shed looks great! When you’re getting the “gloves” you know you’re on the right track. The digits are usually the problem areas so when they come off in one piece, it’s great!

I would definitely give at least lukewarm water. We’re lucky enough to have a heated reptile room. We keep the whole room in the low 80s and the water is stored in there. We use the same water that we buy from the water machines at the grocery store for them to drink when we spray them.

Okay, let me see if I’ve missed anything...

And I know it’s not a gif, but here’s a pic of Lucky with his personal pet bed and blanket that my wife hand knitted for him. He may be a little spoiled...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Szereza
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Szereza » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:11 pm

Oh! Well babies are just as good too! ;D Wooow, I would love to see your enclosures and your reptile room!

Yay! I cleaned out the rest of the shed pieces from his viv and found the last 'glove' too among them so hurray! I'm glad that Linus is having a nice clean shed! He still has a tiny bit left on his back and tail but if I even touch it lightly, he wriggles quite a fair bit. I don't think he's too used to being handle yet as he generally huffs at me quite a lot. :shock: Guess it's best for me to just leave him be? Any advice on well, getting him used to me? :(

Lukewarm water it is! I'll give it a bit though as I don't think he really likes me at the moment. He doesn't snap (do they even snap? Haha) or bite at me though, just huffs or sighs (I think?), but he defo huffs a lot! :doh:

Lucky is definitely very lucky! He's sooo gorgeous! :D

I still haven't had a chance to capture Linus or see him in natural daylight yet as I don't really want to take him out before I go to work and by the time I get back, it's dark already so I only got my horrible orange flat lights on him.. so I'm definitely looking forward to the weekend! ;D

For nooow, here's another gif of Linus - he's definitely looking a lot shinier after his shed too:

aaronhouts
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby aaronhouts » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:33 pm

I think we figured out gifs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Szereza
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Szereza » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:59 pm

Aw yay! I want moreee!

Hey Aaron, when you get a chance, can you check my other post please? I'm just really worried and would like your opinion too: http://www.bluetongueskinks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30921

But now that you've figured out how to upload gifs, more more more! ;D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”