Can someone help ID our blue tongue?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
joi
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Can someone help ID our blue tongue?

Postby joi » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:18 am

She's 7 months and seller told us she was Northern but after research i disagree?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Can someone help ID our blue tongue?

Postby kayla990 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:52 am

Agree with you - definitely not a northern. Very dark scales (and looking milky underneath) so I suspect she's very close to shedding. For now I'm pretty confident you've got an Indonesian type (quite possible an Irian Jaya, based on the full black legs), but I don't suppose you have any more images available to confirm? Based on the dry looking scales/tightness and dark colouration, I would recommend getting up humidity regardless.

If you've already got a substrate to change away from aspen then that's great (as it's considered to be too dry for an Indonesian - if you need any tips for replacement, let us know!). If you don't have any available right now - try to put in a large water dish so they can bathe in the meantime.

Also.. not intending to be picky or to scare you - but am I correct thinking there is a bump on the tail? You may want to keep close watch on it, hoping it's nothing - but don't want it to be an underlying condition such as MBD.
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
joi
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby joi » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:27 pm

Thanks for the great reply! I also figured she was an IJ.

Yeah Im spraying the enclosure a lot cause I figured she want getting enough humidity, especially cause that idiot seller said she was Northern! But think the aspen is drying up the tank too much. Cant get the humidity into 70s. Are the dry scales cause for concern? Is she sick?

I checked her and cant see the bump. Are you referring to the top left at base of her tail? I think the photo is just funny. But thanks for mention!
joi
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby joi » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:35 pm

Some pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
starscream3232
SuperNerd
SuperNerd

Postby starscream3232 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:40 pm

Definitely an Irian jaya. Looks very dry and deep in shed. Definitely a wild caught animal. I noticed white flecks on the scales. Don’t know if it’s from the aspen or mite droppings. Follow quarantine procedures if you have any other reptiles. IJs need at least 60% humidity to thrive. They can get respiratory infections if kept too dry.
Greg
10.9.5 T.s. Intermedia Northern Blue Tongue Skink
1.0 T.s.s. NSW Eastern Blue Tongue Skink
3.2.7 H. gerrardii Pink tongued skink
1.1 T. nigrolutea Blotched blue tongue
0.0.1 T. Gigas evanescens merauke blue tongue
https://m.facebook.com/ribluetonguesskinks/
joi
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby joi » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:49 pm

We phoned the seller and he swears 1. Its northern 2. she was captive farmed and 3. she has already shed except her nose?

This was from a store of exotic pets but I'm starting to worry. Especially if she was indeed Wild Caught. Does this mean we shouldn't keep her?
starscream3232
SuperNerd
SuperNerd

Postby starscream3232 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:30 pm

It’s an Irian jaya. Northerns are tiliqua scincoides intermedia. They are an Australian species which means no animals since the late 70s have been legally exported for the pet trade. Indonesian species like Irain Jaya’s are kept on “farms” which is a nice way of saying cages awaiting export. Your skink was either wild caught or born from a wild caught imported female. Barely any breeders will wholesale to pet stores. Their stock mostly comes from importers. Could it be sold to the shop labeled as a northern. Absolutely but that doesn’t make it a northern. If you click on the link in my bio I have albums of northerns which looks nothing like IJs.
Greg
starscream3232
SuperNerd
SuperNerd

Postby starscream3232 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:38 pm

Their is nothing wrong with wild caught skinks. They will need a vet visit to clear up any internal parasites. Wild caught stuff gets passed off as captive bred all the time. On most of the time they are mislabeled too.
Greg
joi
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby joi » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:42 pm

Awesome. Thanks so much for reply. Ive gotten her humidity levels perfect until i get her aspen bedding changed to coconut shavings.

I think you were correct about mites and the change of substrate was going to happen anyways so that shouldnt be an issue. Going to demite her asap but seeing as shes hiding and huffy due to her only being here 4 days, Im not looking forward to the stinkeye.

We are going to take her to a vet asap as well for a check up as you suggested.

If all goes well she should be a happy skink I hope.

Thanks for messaging and being so helpful!
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:28 am

That's great you've managed to get the humidity levels higher :D If you're looking for some brands/substrates, there's a couple of nice ones available through Amazon UK: Exo Terra Forest Bark, Zoo Med Reptibark, Exo Terra Coco husk, or general branded 'Coco coir' bricks work well. We tend to use a mix of a of these, and mix in sphagnum moss (as it helps humidity as well as having anti-bacterial properties).

Though can understand if you don't want to use too much substrate until the mites have cleared up. I would suspect the vets will suggest keeping on paper towels/kitchen paper with sphagnum moss until the mites are gone. But good you'll be able to visit one soon for confirmation!

It's insane how many sellers are convinced they have the wrong subspecies! Not uncommon at all sadly.. though, you may be able to get a partial refund (if you felt like contacting them again, plus mention the suspected mites). In general, Northerns are sold at a higher price vs. Indonesians.

joi wrote:Are the dry scales cause for concern? Is she sick?

Unlikely sick - just from the humidity as you already know about now :)

joi wrote:I checked her and cant see the bump. Are you referring to the top left at base of her tail?

Yup that was what I was referring to! Glad it was just something funny in the photo.

And as starscream has already said, it's not a big issue with having a wild caught (after initial health checks they should be fine, and personality wise should still tame down to the same level as a captive bred).

All the best, feel free to ask any further questions should anything pop up!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:11 pm

Nice Irian Jaya :)
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”