Random BTS Bleeding?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Brycen
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Random BTS Bleeding?

Postby Brycen » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:27 am

I own an Indonesian BTS whom its about 2 1/2 months old, After he had just fully shed himself for the second time, he propped himself on a rock where my uvb lamp is pointed to for a while, afterwards I moved him so I could clean the cage of the shedding fiasco and noticed as I scooped him up and placed him on the other side of the cage, there was a small amount of blood on the rock and on one of my fingers. I want to make sure nothing happened to him, or he isn't sick. It seems like he'd been bleeding out where he goes to the bathroom, at least from where it was on the rock.

Thank You.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Random BTS Bleeding?

Postby kayla990 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:12 pm

Hmm.. have you checked to see if they have an injury? When handling them, try to use kitchen paper/towel so you can see if there are any blood marks; you may be able to locate where it is coming from. If it is from an injury, check for any possible sharp objects.

However, if you don't see any signs of broken skin or an injury - then I'd encourage a vet visit. If it was in the poop, there is a possibility of internal parasites (and considering you've got a young Indonesian, good chance it's a wild caught which are prone to having them). Keep a close watch for activity and eating levels. It could be a one time thing that happened.. but I'd suspect it could be something internal.
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Random BTS Bleeding?

Postby Janella » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:22 pm

I completely agree with Kayla. If you can't figure it out, I also would recommend a vet visit to rule out internal parasites (which is common) or anything else more serious. Keep us posted ok?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”