Enclosure questions

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Enclosure questions

Postby lifesagame » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:18 am

Hi guys, as I’ve never had a BTS before and looking at getting one I’ve been lurking around and checking out all the posts on recommended enclosures and things for BTS but have a couple of specific questions so I hope it’s ok if I ask them here. I might have some more so thought I’d just start a post and add anything if new ones come up.

My first question is about paint, which may sound odd but I have a vivarium from my beardie who died recently and it’s looking a bit worse for wear inside. I made the mistake of buying an aquarium background, those paper roll ones, and the UV pretty much destroyed it after a few years so I had the remains of double sided tape and the background stick around the top. I couldn’t do much about it when he was in there as he was easily stressed but I’ve been removing all residue and it’s ended up with stains on the off white back of the enclosure. I have standard room emulsion, water based, that I’ve recently used to decorate my room and was told it’s fine for it by the store that sold me it but I wanted to check anyway. It’s from Crown and I’ll try and find the specification if that makes a difference.

Also as I said I previously had a beardie in the vivarium and it’s a nine year old vivexotix wooden 4x2 foot vivarium. I was wondering if the light setup I previously had, 100 watt (or 60 in the summer) basking bulb and 10% or 13% UV 36” strip light, would be suitable or do I need something else? Also do I need to alter the height of the UV? I’ve been seeing a lot in the top of the vivarium, mine was 2/3 or 3/4 of the way up so he could get close enough but I know beardies and BTS have different needs. And would that viv actually be ok if I can’t get an Australian species? I’ve seen a lot of people on the internet finding out their BTS needs higher humidity and I’m not sure this kind of enclosure can take it.

Sorry for all the questions and that these were long explanations! I want to be sure I have it all right and up and running at least 2 weeks before I get one and it’ll be a month at least before I’m looking to get a BTS due to other things so being able to paint it now, if it’s ok, will give it time to air out in advance.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Enclosure questions

Postby kayla990 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:15 pm

Awww, sorry to hear about your beardie!

Let's see.. if you're looking for a flat background (to go over the top of the old residue) one option could be to try sticky-backed tiles; which you should be able to get through Amazon UK. If it's for the kitchen, in theory it should be able to resist some heat/moisture and be able to clean easily. I have not tried this personally, but know it was something we looked into at one point. I'm not sure what chemicals are used for the 'sticky' pads though.

With the paint, I would be cautious about using one thats for standard walls. While it may be ok, chances are that with the combined heat (and possible humidity - as like you say Northerns are difficult to come by in UK) I would suspect that it would begin to chip with time, and potentially give off fumes. Some paints even when fully dry can give off chemical smells - and in a vivarium, may be more noticeable as there is less chance to 'air-out'; due to the smaller space. You'll likely find information regarding that subject if searching for "Volatile organic compounds (VOCs)" and paint. :)

However.. there is still a method I know of using acrylic paint for building vivariums. Basically, acrylic paints are considered to be safe (since a lot of kids use it for crafts), but to make sure of safety in regards to a vivarium - it should be sealed. All oil-based paints should be avoided, or ones claiming to be anti-fungicide etc.

However a few sealer options I've stumbled on in the past:
- I believe clear polyurethane sealers are safe. Generally apply a coat, let it fully dry, then repeat with another 2-3 layers. Can be a bit pricey depending on the size, but generally holds well.
- Water based yacht clear sealer is another method (but beware, during curing time - it can let off a lot of fumes. So it'll need time to air out. But should be both waterproof/safe for higher humidity). Generally cheaper, but need to be careful which one is chosen.
- I've seen a few more specific products being used on backgrounds (though I know that some are difficult to find in europe). But I'll list a few in case you're able to get a hold of them (or similar): ronseal crystal clear varnish (amazon); Shield's All Clear 100% Acrylic Waterproofing Sealer, Bounce Rubberizer (Hotwire factory) or mod-podge (but comes in small containers.. maybe not too relevant for a Bluey!).
- Alternatively, if you're feeling adventurous - a 100% silicone with coco-coir background is an option. If you check around for tutorials, there are plenty around of how to get a natural looking background. The downside is time, tools and whether it can withstand the strength of a determined Bluey. If you want a few references, SerpaDesign or LizardLandscapes (both on youtube) can give some gove oversight into DIY versions :D

I'm not the best with lighting advice, so will let another experienced keeper comment on that!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Enclosure questions

Postby lifesagame » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:30 pm

Thanks :) I’ve been planning on doing a hide with the fake rock polystyrene and grout with paint method but wasn’t sure how it’d stand up to a determined skink, I was surprised at how much some of the fake plants got destroyed by my beardie and it seems skinks are stronger and more determined! I recently got new furniture so have a pile of polystyrene of different shapes and sizes so I might have a go at a background with that. I have plenty of acrylic paints around so I could mix up a bit of that and paint it then seal it, might be the easiest option as a base for the background. Then wait and see about a hide and the skink’s personality as to whether it’s one that would be determined to get through it or not.

I’m just going to do the back panel, so it’ll cover a 4x2 foot area, as the wood effect panels are all fine and came off clean. I need to replace the vents, thermometers and lighting clips anyway so it needs a bit of a makeover before I’d have anything in there so it’s looking like a couple of months to get the vivarium ready anyway with painting and letting everything set. Thanks for the sealing options, will have a look at them. I was going to get some anyway for the fake rock hide so I’ll see which would work best for this.

The fumes when dry are what I was worried about with the wall paint. It’s apparently fine with heat and UV and non toxic but there’s non toxic for people and then non toxic and fume free for animals it seems. I guess I might be able to use it and then seal it with a sealant but I’ll probably stick with what’s known and safe, plus acrylic is a lot cheaper!

Humidity is definitely something I’m worried about. I’m tempted just to seal the whole vivarium, cover everything so there’s no chance of the wood effect peeling off. My beardie did scratch it a bit so I’m not 100% sure he didn’t break the surface and that would be annoying to find out six months down the line.

Thanks for all the advice, didn’t think of acrylic for the walls so something to consider. :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”