What brand canned dog/cat foods do you feed/recommend

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Reptilerob57
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

What brand canned dog/cat foods do you feed/recommend

Postby Reptilerob57 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:42 pm

Hello everyone,
Was wondoring what brand canned cat or dog foods would be the best to feed my kei island bts. I have wellness canned cat food and dog food but the dog food cans are way to big to feed 2 times a week. I have 2 small dogs but don’t feed them canned food very often.
I’m getting repashy bluey buffet. My skink ate half a can of wellness cat food the chicken one.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: What brand canned dog/cat foods do you feed/recommend

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:14 am

IMO ...,none are....
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:06 am

You'll find owners have different opinions on this ^__^ Some will never use it (instead using freshly cooked meats, insects or other protein sources like eggs), others think full cat food diets are fine.

I'm personally of the mindset of it can be fine to use cat food (for juveniles) or dog food (adults) only if mixed in with a good balance of other food - so with vegetables, greens and tiny amounts of fruit. I wouldn't ever use just cat/dog food alone, as it doesn't seem to be balanced enough for omnivore requirements.

Sadly can't say which brands! Each country is different, so I can only comment on some of the European brands. But we look for grain-free, sugar-free products with no fish bi-products.
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Reptilerob57
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Reptilerob57 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:59 am

I work at a supermarket so it isn’t a problem getting him greens and other fruits and veggies. I’m not gonna just feed canned dog and cat food I’m getting bluey buffet soon and I will feed him eggs,chop meat super worms,hornworms,mealworms dubias
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:15 am

Use the bluey buffet sparingly. Its sort of like eating jello every day if that's your staple. Myself and many breeders I know have been using high end brand cat/dog food forever. Once they pass six months of age I will use cat food sparingly and switch over to dog food. Most of the good brands have vegetables mixed right in. I do not use the same all the time, I mix it up with beef, turkey and chicken flavors to keep it interesting for them. Brands I use mostly are Merrick, Blue Buffalo, Halo a few others I just can't think of (I'm at work). I will also use Omnivore Mix I believe by zilla or zoo med or one of those companies...it is a dried fruit/vegetable/insect mix that i'll mix in if I get an exceptionally wet can of food. I mix in vitamins (I use Nekton multirep as I swear by that product) and calcium/d3 powder when I prepare the food. Depending on season I'll skip to every other week with the added vitamins. Babies get them with every feeding and are fed daily, all they can eat. If someone is being particularly picky I'll mix in banana or egg. They absolutely love insects when coming out of brumation so they get those too. (I breed all my own).

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”