My skink likes Aspen but…

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Leigti
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

My skink likes Aspen but…

Postby Leigti » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:06 pm

The new enclosure for my northern BTS will be here next week :-) but I can’t decide what substrate use. The enclosure will be 6 feet long. I have tried Aspen, Coco Products, cypress mulch. His favorite seems to be the Aspen. He really likes to burrow, and just seems happier somehow on it then the other stuff. But there seems to be a debate as to whether that is good or not. I do plan on having a humid hide available at all times , on the warm and, with damp spaghnum moss in it. He does use the humid hide. He has not had any issues with shed. So I am open to suggestions as to what substrate I should use. I personally would prefer Aspen but I want to do what’s best for my skink.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: My skink likes Aspen but…

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:57 am

I think course grade KRITTERS KRUMBLE mixed with natural leaf litter (non toxic plants only) is a very good bedding for an eastern or northern bluetongue.

https://www.petbarn.com.au/kritters-kru ... litres?p=1

I simply set out my front door onto my front path and collect twigs and fallen strips of bark and leaves deposited there by my mature 40 yr old blue gum and mix with kritters crumble for my easterns, and they adore the stuff. A few minutes with a kitchen bin bag and I have all the leaf litter I need for my two EBTs.

2 x 20L bags of Kritters Crumble and a bag of leaves is more than enough to give my two a nice deep bedding about 2 inches deep to burrow through and fossick through looking for bugs (2x vivs 4ft x 2ft),
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: My skink likes Aspen but…

Postby splashy07 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:07 am

I do not know if that is available here in the states.
I used aspen for my Northerns for a few years, but after dealing with shedding issues and excessive sneezing (the lizards AND myself) switched over to repti-bark, cypress mulch or coco husk, or combination thereof. No more shedding issues, allergies, or sneezing lizards. This will be my third year breeding so I'm thinking they're happy.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”